December Hatch-A-Long 2014

It's a little giant one from TSC. I had issues with a older model last spring as well. The temps have risen a bit over the last hour or so. Hope it stays stable during the night.

I'll see if I know anyone with a bator just in case.

Thanks!
smile.png
when I had problems with mine coming up to temp I shined a heat lamp on it for a few minutes at a time to bring it up slowly

Oh I know it doesn't happen often at all. This is the first time I have ever had a rotten egg and Ive been hatching for 4 years (mostly with broodies until now). But when it does happen oh my gosh it stinks. Im glad I handled every egg before lockdown

I had one explode on me after day 18 candling, so disgusting and I was happy that it happened outside I took them out for an eggtopsy.

so this is what I'm trying to figure out. if you don't open the incubator while they are hatching how do you know that a baby needs help and how do you help them?

so this is what I'm trying to figure out. if you don't open the incubator while they are hatching how do you know that a baby needs help and how do you help them?
I'm no expert as this is my first time hatching eggs but I think most people wait until 24 hours after the chick has pipped to step in and help if the chick hasn't made much progress.

Last edited:
Like Renee said, I wait 24 hours after a pip to go in and help. There are some signs that make the case more urgent, such as pipping on the wrong end of the egg. On my last hatch I had a disproportionate number of chicks that pipped in the middle of the egg or the narrow end. Some of them got out OK, but about 4 of them I helped by opening a small hole in the shell so they could at least breath until the got out. Two needed extra help on top of that as they were malpositioned and could not get out of the shell. It is important to note that intervening too soon should be avoided since the chick needs to absorb the yolk before leaving the egg.

One thing that annoys me about my incubator is that the chicks that hatch early run around and knock into the eggs that have not hatched. This sends the eggs rolling around and and I don't think it does any favors to the chicks that are trying to hatch. I removed hatched chicks every 6 hours or so. When I did it, I sprayed the sides of the incubator with warm water from a squirt bottle. I never had problems with the humidity going too low.

All 20 of the eggs that made it to lockdown hatched by day 22. :)

Back
Top Bottom