December Hatch:Who is going to have Christmas babies?

After four loooooooonnnnnnnngggggg days of lockdown, I finally had a peep and a pip from two separate eggs. Both were put under my broody Silkie hen. Since she had only been broody a little over a week, she initially made faces at the odd, noisy eggs I had placed under her. However, when I checked on her in the middle of the night, she was softly clucking at the little ones, who peeped back in response.
love.gif

This afternoon both eggs hatched, and I now have a white and splash Silkie to bug their new mommy. Two more eggs (one a peeper, the other with a pip) have been placed under her tonight. I'll let the other eggs hatch in the incubator, then place them under the hen after dark since she's now used to having little creatures crawling under her.

Pictures will follow once the babes are ready for their close-up.

wee.gif

The bad news:

The furnace malfunctioned this morning while I was at work, and temperatures in the house got down in the 40s. I've lost three of the five that were in the 'bator, and the two remaining are barely hanging on.

The good news: Seven babies were under their broody momma (my avatar), and she kept them warm.

Six Silkies, plus one Polish x Cochin/Silkie/OEGB mutt (bottom center with the yellow puff on the head).

47116_dsc01010.jpg

47116_dsc01014.jpg

If you still have trouble with them hanging on, give them a little sugar water. I have read 1/4 c sugar to a gal of water. It gives them energy. I have given it to ones that had trouble or were real slow after hatching. It helps.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom