Decent laying "poor layer"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beccaboo254, Mar 3, 2014.

1. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    So we got a 2yo bantam Cornish hen who just started laying again (she'd just finished a molt when we got her). Despite our crazy temp swings (80-20 in 24 hours), she's laid an egg every other day for a week now. Bantam Cornish are considered "poor layers" from everything I've read, but 3-4 a week would be considered average laying. So just curious: who else has a chicken that surpasses her breeds expectations?!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I have a Bantam Black Cochin that lays quite well. The person I got her from says that he has lots of problems with his Cochins going broody, and that he only gets like 6 eggs from each before they start brooding. However, my little Cochin laid for nearly four months, sometimes every day (or every other day) without taking a break, or even beginning to molt.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I've had 2 eggs from my Pekin / Cochin bantam. Only another 3 - 4 to go before she hopefully goes broody (I got her specially to BE broody).

I thought I'd do best to just get one of the breed that I could rely on for chicks...

[​IMG]

Love her though, she's so stuck up in personality & fancy looking... [​IMG]

Should see this little Cochin charging around the yard with its head down at layers twice its size & with massive, poofy butt stuck up in the air swaying from side to side as it sways in fast motion around the garden. [​IMG]

Crossing her with an EE rooster[​IMG], should be interesting babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by