Decent laying "poor layer"?

beccaboo254

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
So we got a 2yo bantam Cornish hen who just started laying again (she'd just finished a molt when we got her). Despite our crazy temp swings (80-20 in 24 hours), she's laid an egg every other day for a week now. Bantam Cornish are considered "poor layers" from everything I've read, but 3-4 a week would be considered average laying. So just curious: who else has a chicken that surpasses her breeds expectations?!

I have a Bantam Black Cochin that lays quite well. The person I got her from says that he has lots of problems with his Cochins going broody, and that he only gets like 6 eggs from each before they start brooding. However, my little Cochin laid for nearly four months, sometimes every day (or every other day) without taking a break, or even beginning to molt.

I have a Bantam Black Cochin that lays quite well. The person I got her from says that he has lots of problems with his Cochins going broody, and that he only gets like 6 eggs from each before they start brooding. However, my little Cochin laid for nearly four months, sometimes every day (or every other day) without taking a break, or even beginning to molt.
I've had 2 eggs from my Pekin / Cochin bantam. Only another 3 - 4 to go before she hopefully goes broody (I got her specially to BE broody).

I thought I'd do best to just get one of the breed that I could rely on for chicks...

lau.gif

Love her though, she's so stuck up in personality & fancy looking...
gig.gif

Should see this little Cochin charging around the yard with its head down at layers twice its size & with massive, poofy butt stuck up in the air swaying from side to side as it sways in fast motion around the garden.
lau.gif

Crossing her with an EE rooster
lol.png
, should be interesting babies.

Back
Top Bottom