Decent money

No. I have news feeds from lots of groups and generally I hear people say it's not possible but those are individuals. That is in South America. But how do you compete with a supermarket that sells whole chickens for $3/kilo?

I live in the countryside away from the city, and see flatbed trucks loaded to the brim with what I have estimated to be over $150,000 worth of chickens. The city dwellers probably pay more premium over the country stores too. But in the country they grow their own feed and don't even bother free ranging. They have to be making some profit but it is a huge endevor of lots of people and businesses. The feed sellers make money, the truckers make money, the farmers make money, but it's all shared premiums.

We cannot give away hen or quail eggs fast enough and they pile up. Marketing takes time and the egg revenue doesn't even pay for the marketing expense, much less the cost of production. Selling product also creates a liability. If someone became sick, or just said they became sick, you could loose the flock, the backyard and everything else.

We cannot give away hen or quail eggs fast enough and they pile up. Marketing takes time and the egg revenue doesn't even pay for the marketing expense, much less the cost of production. Selling product also creates a liability. If someone became sick, or just said they became sick, you could loose the flock, the backyard and everything else.
Yea have mentioned that in another post were someone was asking bout selling eggs out front there house. Becoming a good, great or epic breeder of a particular breed or multiple seems more appealing then egg sales, for that reason.

Anyone here figured out how to successfully make some decent, or even maybe not so decent but still good cash from your chickens or poultry? Maybe a different animal, as a hobby or a business. Maybe you already did it and gave up maybe Ur still doing it, either way let us know.. or don't. 🐔🦆

Or what would be your ideal goal with this if you where to make it happen? Everyone here obviously likes these animals, and working/spending time with them, so how would you go about it.

So far never made any money off the flock here it's been a hobby, have given some eggs away for free to friends, but am thinking it's about time to step it up a bit.
Specialize! Pick a breed that sells for more than a couple bucks per chick. Many of the rare color Orpingtons sell for $25-$75 per chick. The hens cost the same to feed but if you can get $250 for a hatch as opposed to $25 then you will at least be ahead of the feed bill. Your initial investment will be a hit to the pocket book but you can make more money per egg. You can sell your eggs for $2.00 a dozen to the neighbors or sell six hatching eggs for $80. You don’t have to go big- just go special.

Specialize! Pick a breed that sells for more than a couple bucks per chick. Many of the rare color Orpingtons sell for $25-$75 per chick. The hens cost the same to feed but if you can get $250 for a hatch as opposed to $25 then you will at least be ahead of the feed bill. Your initial investment will be a hit to the pocket book but you can make more money per egg. You can sell your eggs for $2.00 a dozen to the neighbors or sell six hatching eggs for $80. You don’t have to go big- just go special.
Had quick search for something similar to what your speaking of and found this as example.

Screenshot_20210516-101226.png
Screenshot_20210516-101309.png
Screenshot_20210516-101244.png

I agree with BirdsBeesTrees people are in need of chickens and there getting really good prices around our area all what she is selling. I'll only profit because I enjoy it and I stick with pure breeds myself. Our neighbors are doing what BirdsBeesTrees is doing..
Also some of these almost extinct chickens are in demand..

Back
Top Bottom