decided to make a moggot bucket

dirtfishing1

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns VA
I butchered 6 excess roo's for tablefare today and decided to make a maggot bucket I read about with the left overs. drew the flies right away. We will see how long it takes to get the free protein. If this works well I now have a place to dispose of those unwanted critters around the homestead. here is the link .

website.http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Feeding-Chickens-Maggots.html

Dirt.

This thread just grossed me out, there is no way I'm gonna open the link !
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

OK, I didn't go to the link....but I know I read here on BYC that you should NOT feed maggots to chickens. I think they have some kind of toxin in them. Maybe you should do some extra research before going through with this, just to make sure.

OK, I didn't go to the link....but I know I read here on BYC that you should NOT feed maggots to chickens. I think they have some kind of toxin in them. Maybe you should do some extra research before going through with this, just to make sure.

old.gif

This is correct, I'm sure a few wouldn't hurt, but flys in general are vectors of many diseases. Black Soldier Fly Larva are different, search this in BYC they are completely different than maggots.​

Last edited:
Well it did not take long to get the free protein. I went out this morning and all the chickens were gathered around under the bucket just pecking away at falling little white worms. I had to get within 6 feet of it just to get a whiff. The oak leaves really kept the smell down. As far as the toxin issue. I have but only little concern of botulism. Started with clean bucket and known clean meat source and will re clean bucket after use. If it is good enough for Harvey Ussery and Speckled Hen it is good enough for me. As they say do not knock it until YOU have tried it.

Regards,

Dirt

Back
Top Bottom