Deciding on a flooring for our run before the rainy season gets here

SusanD

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hi,

I am wondering if you might have any ideas on what would make a good flooring for a rainy climate. My mother and I are both worried about what will happen to our run when our rainy season starts (in October, I hope - Oregon is in the middle of a really dry spell right now). We originally had bark mulch in the run. Our chickens, as you might expect have dug holes everywhere, that will need to be filled in. Also we may need to have the banking adjusted so the water doesn't collect around side of the house (where a lot of the holes are). Also, the bark mulch is getting thin (probably due to the chickens scratching and to me picking up to droppings). So, I think it will be muddy and unhealthy for them if something isn't done.

I am unsure what to suggest to my parents. The poultry vet that I had vet our three chickens said that she prefers pine shavings over bark mulch as the bark mulch can be hard on their feet. This gave me second thoughts about asking my dad to put more mulch down. However, I don't want to put pine shavings down (if that means something like the ones we have in the coop), because I'm afraid the chickens will be tempted to eat them. The other options I can think of would be sand (but I'm afraid that would clump) or pine chips (which might also be rough on their feet).

Thanks,

Susan

Sand is the best option. It drains well and shouldn't clump if you get the right type and turn it regularly. Get construction sand and you'll be fine.

Do NOT get:
Wood Shavings
Straw
Leaves

They will all mold in the rain season and cause foot problems and infections.

Trust me, I've used sand and it's fine as long as they don't keep pooping in the same spot. Use sand!

Sand wont clump. I am in favor of using sand. If you go with sand, then use the course grade.. minimal dust and less worries over what many fear about sand. There is a thread about using sand and it is good reading. Many are extremely divided on its use. Read it and then decide if it is for your circumstances. ... You should also read up on the Deep litter method. Many use it and are totally satisfied with it. Go to search bar and type in your searches. There will pop up many threads. If you are not able to find them, then ask and I can post the links here.

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your replies. I like the sand option, as long as we can keep it from clumping. I'm also glad you mentioned leaves. We have a lot of old leaves in there now that should probably be cleared out, if that's going to be a concern?

Susan

Last edited:
So it looks like my two options are sand and wood chips/shavings of some kind. I want to research both before committing. For those that use wood, what type is best on the feet and for mold prevention.

Thanks,

Susan

I've never used wood/bark before and not planning too. Getting a hard wood would help prevent mold. But could be harder on their feet and when it causes cuts the hens have a heightened chance of getting the dreaded bumble foot disease.
he.gif

Getting coarse construction sand is the best way to go. It'll only become a problem if your hens dig holes in places you don't want them too and if you leave poo build up (Under perches). But I guess you'll get those 2 problems with any bedding that you choose.

Hi,

Thanks for your input. It did cause me to consider sand, which is something I hadn't thought of before. I am hoping to present my Dad (who will probably be the doing the work - Unless I can convince him to let me hire a landscaper) with two good options. It sounds like there are people who use wood and gravel, so I am hoping to hear what has worked for them. We do have pine shavings in the coop where they sleep and I clean it every morning, so hopefully their roost should be ok
smile.png

Hi,

We had our first rain of the season last night, and it did seem to hold up better that I thought it would (no puddles). That being said, I would love to get frank opinions on what needs to happen to make our run a healthy place for them. My parents are divided about keeping them. My Dad, I think wants to keep them. My Mom, I think, would like to rehome them (I think she likes the eggs, but are worries about me picking up after them, how the backyard looks, and overwintering them). I''m unsure, mainly because I want to make sure that we are doing the right thing by them.

Here is the run, my Dad may convert to a lean to.

Here is a picture of the coop. We've gotten away without obvious ammonia poisoning so for. However, I think we may need to do something (dryer vent?) to improve the air quality if they're going to be spending more time in there.

And here is a picture of the trees outside of the run. I hadn't thought of it, but since it was mentioned, I'm wondering if we will need to pick the leaves up once they start to really fall (in October) to prevent mold issues.

Thanks,

Susan

If you go with the sand you will need a couple inches of it. Judging from your pics I would say you need to put a board around the bottom of the run to keep the sand in. They like to dig and will kick it up a bit. I have sand in my run and coop and I go out every day(mostly) and pick up poop with a kitty litter scoop. Easy as scooping a big litter box!

Has anyone used compressed wood chips, and if so, what were the results? I'm a little bit afraid to try sand, because I'm not sure I can set up the drainage properly (the people at the feedstore today suggested using gravel underneath to help with drainage).

Thanks,

Susan

Back
Top Bottom