Deciding Who Should Go

Ashb0429

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
Hello All!
Succesfully have our first flock out in the coop for several months. They’re a straight run of mixed bantams and LF including Buff Cochin and Blue Andulsians, Speckled Sussex, Silkies and D’uccles. Quite the mix bag.
Sadly we did not fair well in the pullet vs cockerel lotto and have to cull about 5 cockerels from the flock. Two made the decision easy by attacking one of the kids and the other was insanely mean to the pulleys.
The hard part is: I’ve got four Buff Cochins That are absolutely sweet cockerels up to this point. They’re about 5 months old so I know they could switch behaviors at the 6-8mo mark from what I’ve read.
My question is: Can I afford to be that rooster heavy for another couple months or will it delay the hens in laying from the stress? If now is the time to cull, any pointers? I’ve heard keep the ones that are nice to the girls and humans but so far 4 fit that bill and I have enough hens to only justify keeping 2.

You could wait it out and make your selections as the need arises.

One thats violently over mating? Gone
One thats starting fights? Gone
Etc.
In the end you will have the best 1 or 2.

Unless there is a reason you have to do it now, hold off to see which ones will be best to keep.
You have already culled 2 for specific reasons. Wait and observe the others and cull as they grow.

Welcome!
It appears that you are doing really well, and I agree that if things are still calm, give it more time. Or, do a little advertising, and see if you can move a couple of them on sooner. Those Cochins will be beautiful!
Mary

What are your goals for keeping chickens?
If it's just eggs, you don't need male at all.
I see a small child enjoying the birds, a male could ruin that for them and possibly cause grievous injury.
Cock/erels are a crap shoot,
might be best to have a layer only flock and get a crower down the road in a few years.
Have a place ready to isolate those males, when it goes bad, it happens fast.

I have enough hens to only justify keeping 2.
What formula are you using to determine that?

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Back
Top Bottom