Decor for Pigeon Aviary?

DotTheHen

Songster
May 6, 2019
Hello! The aviary for the new couple is being built, but I was wondering if there were types of decor that I could spruce up the place with?

Do pigeons and plants go well together or do they completely demolish them like chickens? I’m planning to put a bird bath in the middle since I heard pigeons love bathing.

Could I put some type of small shrub/tree inside for them?

Do pigeons need enrichment toys such as mirrors or winding perches like parrots do? I do plan on putting different sized perches across the aviary.

If real plants aren’t ok for them on the inside, is it okay to put fake ones on the outside?

Im new to pigeons so I don’t know everything about the proper set up to keep them happy. They would be staying in the aviary 24/7 since we have many many many predators around. The aviary is going to be 7’ tall, 12’ long, and around 4’ wide with only two birds living there.

Pigeons won't destroy plants like chickens, so I think plants might be ok. But I don't know. I think it might be cool to put a few natural perches like branches? or a rock shelf, to imitate theyre natural habititat? Pigeons in my experience don't really need special toys like mirrors and things, but I've never tried it. With my pigeons, Kiwi and Peach's aviary, I have a few rope perches there. Pigeons tend to like shelves more than perches, and they also need nest boxes (if you want babies). I'm am by no means an expert though. @sourland @biophiliac @Qwerty3159 @backyard pigeons

Hello! The aviary for the new couple is being built, but I was wondering if there were types of decor that I could spruce up the place with?

Do pigeons and plants go well together or do they completely demolish them like chickens? I’m planning to put a bird bath in the middle since I heard pigeons love bathing.

Do pigeons need enrichment toys such as mirrors or winding perches like parrots do? I do plan on putting different sized perches across the aviary.

If real plants aren’t ok for them on the inside, is it okay to put fake ones on the outside?

Im new to pigeons so I don’t know everything about the proper set up to keep them happy. They would be staying in the aviary 24/7 since we have many many many predators around. The aviary is going to be 7’ tall, 12’ long, and around 4’ wide with only two birds living there.
Plants are great, as long as they aren't poisonous. Both inside and outside, but nothing to big, as it could destroy the wire in time.

Any natural features would look great! No, mirrors or fancy perches the pigeons won't enjoy.

I would recommend doing the aviary 6-8 ft wide, even if you shorten it a bit. Four feet is very skinny.

I hope this helps!

The decor is for your viewing pleasure. I see dong the decor very similar to peeps decorating their aquariums for their fish. If you make a natural type of environment inside, and out, YOU WILL BE HAPPY. :thumbsup Flower bed decor on exterior makes the aviary look inviting. Consider growing some vegetable vines on the outside, like squash, or pickles. It would provide a shade to the aviary during growing season.
Try potted plants inside, and make sure they are not toxic. (just as a precaution)
place interesting looking branches that pigeons would sit on.

Hello! The aviary for the new couple is being built, but I was wondering if there were types of décor that I could spruce up the place with?

I'm new to pigeons so I don’t know everything about the proper set up to keep them happy. They would be staying in the aviary 24/7 since we have many many many predators around. The aviary is going to be 7’ tall, 12’ long, and around 4’ wide with only two birds living there.
Hi!,
I put up a few natural mobiles for them to fly around, multiple perches at multiple levels are good. I have a few signs on the walls for my fun, and as far as plants, they have destroyed about every plant I've tried. So now I occasionally get a plant they like to eat when the garden center has a sale and its like a treat for them in addition to their regular diet.
Plastic plants will just get perched and pooped on. I have a radio on most of the day for talk and music. I also change the perches by moving them around every couple of months to create new set ups for them, while leaving a few alone to have some base line nesting areas.
There are 2 mirrors by 2 of the perches.
I've also spent some time training some of my Doves and my Silkie chickens, so that's good mental enrichment also.
I spend time talking to them during feeding and cleaning the aviary....that's enrichment for me also
Have Fun

More fun decor for the birds and rabbits just went up this weekend

Attachments

• bird signs.jpg
    bird signs.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 8
  • rabbitsign.jpg
    rabbitsign.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 9
. . . So now I occasionally get a plant they like to eat when the garden center has a sale and its like a treat for them in addition to their regular diet. . .

What plants have you found your pigeons to "love to death"?

My 6 pigeons spend most (nearly all) their time in their aviary (16'x6'). I was letting them out for an hour or two and only 2-4 would even bother to go out the door, let alone fly around. So I'd love to add something to the aviary that they'd actually pay attention to! Too late for plants now but there's always next summer.

(A week or 2 ago I heard a bang like something had hit a screen and looked out to see a hawk, presumably one of our long-time-resident broad-winged hawks, flying away from the aviary - so they're on lockdown right now. I know the hawks head south for the winter, but not sure when.)

Back
Top Bottom