Decorated duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 13, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Anyone ever blown out the inside of a duck egg and made it into a decoration as they do with other eggs? Just wondering how difficult it is with the shells being so much thicker than chicken eggs?

2. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Ornament thread- Not just for chicken eggs!

I do mostly chicken eggs, but have a couple ducks just coming into lay. I think the duck eggs are a little easier because they are thicker and when making the hole it doesn't crack around the hole as easy. The only thing I've noticed though is when they're wet they're a lot more slippery and you can break more that way by accidentally dropping them in the sink! hah

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to blow out alot of duck eggs and sell them on Ebay and decorate them myself too. I found it every easy to do, specialy if you have an egg blower tool, takes all of a minute to blow the suckers out.

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    much sturdier result with the duck eggs, if you're going to do the work, it's less likely to get broken than with chicken eggs.
    we got a little drill bit and put it in a screwdriver handle (the kind designed for changing tips) to drill out the end of the egg - doesn't take long, maybe 10-20 seconds to do. that way we've got a nice clean hole and no odd cracking.

used them a couple of years ago to make pysanky (here are some example pics, mine weren't quite this good! http://www.google.com/search?q=pysa...v&sa=X&ei=xCWXTsb3MM6XtweHxYD6Aw&ved=0CG4QsAQ )

5. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Egg blowing tool, screw driver bits. Good ideas. Going to have to try this. Thanks for the input. If I succeed with have to share pics of course!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by