1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Decrease in Eggs in February? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatieG509, Feb 5, 2017.

1. KatieG509

KatieG509 New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Westminster, Colorado
    Hello! We have 4 hens, all less than a year old.

They have been laying pretty reliably since August. With the exception of our California White, who stopped for about 6 weeks when she was molting, there wasn't really a decrease in the fall when the days started to get shorter.

However, we've recently had a pretty dramatic drop in eggs. Like we went from about 3 eggs a day to 1, sometimes none. It seems our white has stopped completely again, along with one of our Australorps. They all are acting normal, and don't seem sick.

Is this normal for this time of year? It seems weird to me that they would slow down now, since the days are getting longer. Thanks!

2. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    If haven't changed anything about their environment and diet and they all seem healthy, I would think they are just having a break. You could try cooking them a small piece of fish for a protein boost, but other than that patience seems to be key when it comes to hens' laying cycles.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hens do take breaks. Another month or so and they should be at peak production before slowing down during the heat of summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by