1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*deep breath*. I think we're going to try it.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by StarLover21, Feb 4, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    We have five chickens, illegally. We've had them for three or four years (or some of them), and our neighbors are fine with them. Still, it would be nice knowing that it was legal. If it was, we could build them a giant coop- and even get more!
    Right now the law says they have to be 150 feet away from any houses or buildings, etc.
    How do I go about changing this?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I think you're asking two different questions, but I'm not sure. The first would be "how to change laws to allow chickens" and the second is "how to revise setbacks." The place to start would be with your local zoning officials. The less they're 'surprised' by a proposal, the smoother things might go. Plus, you'll get an idea as to what type of opposition or support you're likely to get.

This can be a nervous time, especially since you've been 'hiding' your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by