Deep cut from bullying

Isabella_animale

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
Help! My little 28 week Sebright Bantam got really badly picked on by my other big girls she was with! I feel so bad, I love this girl. Its a pretty deep wound and you can't see very well in the pics but the skin is flapped upšŸ˜­ I have separated her in a cat crate alone with food and water, what do I do to heal her?!
20201129_220244.jpg

If she were mine, I would flush the wound with saline since it's close to her eye. Pat dry and apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Do you have other bantams with the big girls? Sometimes that can cause problems.
If you plan on re-integrating her when she heals, it would be a very good idea to cage her within the coop so they stay familiar with her.

If she were mine, I would flush the wound with saline since it's close to her eye. Pat dry and apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Do you have other bantams with the big girls? Sometimes that can cause problems.
If you plan on re-integrating her when she heals, it would be a very good idea to cage her within the coop so they stay familiar with her.

Thank you, will do. I sadly don't have sterile saline solution on hand and can't go out and get til Tuesday. Is there something else I can use or maybe make the solution if that's possible? I have 2 big girls, 1 old 10 year old bantam hen and a bantam rooster her age. And the big girls only pic on her because my 10 year old is fisty and they respect my roo. My 10 year old bantam also has been picking on her. My roo is the only one thats nice to her

Thank you, will do. I sadly don't have sterile saline solution on hand and can't go out and get til Tuesday. Is there something else I can use or maybe make the solution if that's possible? I have 2 big girls, 1 old 10 year old bantam hen and a bantam rooster her age. And the big girls only pic on her because my 10 year old is fisty and they respect my roo. My 10 year old bantam also has been picking on her. My roo is the only one thats nice to her
You can make your own saline by adding 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 quart of water. Boil for 15 minutes to make sterile. Let cool and use. I would not keep any leftover, make fresh as needed.

If you have something like Chlorhexidine or Betadine, you can dilute those and use them too, just take care not to let run in the eye. Warm soapy water will always work too.

Just keep watch on the wound for odors or infection. I think it will heal o.k.
I've had hens with the back of their neck and head ripped open and they healed nicely. Keeping the ointment on the skin helps it not be so itchy as they heal.

You can make your own saline by adding 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 quart of water. Boil for 15 minutes to make sterile. Let cool and use. I would not keep any leftover, make fresh as needed.

If you have something like Chlorhexidine or Betadine, you can dilute those and use them too, just take care not to let run in the eye. Warm soapy water will always work too.

I've had hens with the back of their neck and head ripped open and they healed nicely. Keeping the ointment on the skin helps it not be so itchy as they heal.

Thank you so so much for your help! So after the rinse, do I jsut apply antibiotic inside the cut? How often should I do this?

Also, how to I flush the wound? Do I use a qtip dipped in the solution and wipe it or just drop it in? So sorry for all the questions I'm just real nervous, I love this girl

Also, how to I flush the wound? Do I use a qtip dipped in the solution and wipe it or just drop it in? So sorry for all the questions I'm just real nervous, I love this girl
You can do that.
When mine had head wounds, I swaddled them lightly in a towel to capture their wings, then leaned their head over the bathroom sink. Then I poured some of the solution into the wound (they may shake their head! LOL) I'm not always that gentle with wounds, but the goal is to flush out any dirt/debris, etc. It may be uncomfortable for them for a few minutes but it's better than a wound getting infected.

If you have any needless syringes, you can use that to squirt into the wound to help flush it out.

Pat dry, then put on the ointment.

If she's alert, then offer her a little to drink and a small treat. Make her comfortable and turn out the light LOL

You can do that.
When mine had head wounds, I swaddled them lightly in a towel to capture their wings, then leaned their head over the bathroom sink. Then I poured some of the solution into the wound (they may shake their head! LOL) I'm not always that gentle with wounds, but the goal is to flush out any dirt/debris, etc. It may be uncomfortable for them for a few minutes but it's better than a wound getting infected.

If you have any needless syringes, you can use that to squirt into the wound to help flush it out.

Pat dry, then put on the ointment.

If she's alert, then offer her a little to drink and a small treat. Make her comfortable and turn out the light LOL

Thanks for all the advice! That's so helpful! Last question, again I am so sorry for all the questions, but if she's just eating layer feed and water, do you know if she will she still need grit?

Thanks for all the advice! That's so helpful! Last question, again I am so sorry for all the questions, but if she's just eating layer feed and water, do you know if she will she still need grit?
No you really wouldn't have to provide grit if all she was getting is layer feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom