DEEP LITER METHOD IS GOOD?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
Anyone have experience with deep liter method? So far so good at my coop! I’ve been adding only pine shavings once a week after my initial 4-6 inches of shavings to start. I bought a hand rake and use it to shuffle up the litter twice a week or so and I also add a little scratch or pellets so the birds shuffle it up themselves. Smells and looks good so far. I like this method. Am I doing it right? Also… thinking before winter I’ll clean it all out and start over.

What kind of coop do I need? Thank you!
Deep Litter works best in contact with the ground, so that beneficial microbes can move up thru the pile to aid decomposition. It also helps maintain appropriate moisture levels. Under typical circumstances, you can't deep litter in a raised coop, or one with wooden/concrete/linoleum floors - "deep bedding" is as close as it gets.

Note how I use deep bedding in my raised coop, then move it down to the ground (no floor) to become deep litter under the ducks.

In theory, I could deep litter in the raised coop because I use concreteboard as flooring - I could shovel several inches of good dirt from my soils, complete with bacteria, worms, and all the rest in the top soil, then pile on the leaf litter another 6-8", and as long as the moisture levels stayed good, the process could operate as intended. But that's (potentially) a lot of weight, its definitely a lot of trapped moisture, and it will definitely accelerate the decay of anything its in contact with. Concrete board is better than lumber for that purpose, but it has limits. That's why I don't practice that theory.

Back
Top Bottom