Deep litter and required moisture ?

Cedar chips can cause respiratory issues in chickens. You would be better off with pine shavings. A lot safer and probably cheaper also.
They would be free my neighbor has a ceder snag they are having chipped, I could find a use for the cedar elsewhere hopefully. Are there other trees and possible bedding material to avoid?:confused:(where is the chewing on finger nails emogi?)

They would be free my neighbor has a ceder snag they are having chipped, I could find a use for the cedar elsewhere hopefully. Are there other trees and possible bedding material to avoid?:confused:(where is the chewing on finger nails emogi?)
It would depend on what kind of cedar, if the aromatic kind, I'd not put them in the coop.
The aromatic kind could be used in the run, in moderation.

They would be free my neighbor has a ceder snag they are having chipped, I could find a use for the cedar elsewhere hopefully. Are there other trees and possible bedding material to avoid?

Avoid black walnut. I do use some cedar but it's been left lying around to air out, and it's also mixed with other woods, so not very aromatic.

Back
Top Bottom