Deep Litter and Sweet PDZ

Ninjanina

Chirping
Jun 21, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains (California)
I am going to do a deep litter system in my hoop coop chicken run. I currently have an Eglu Cube in the run and was thinking of putting Sweet PDZ in the litter tray in the cube. Then, when I scoop the poop out each morning it would get added to the deep litter and stirred in. My question is: does the Sweet PDZ interfer with the good microbes/critters that you want to promote in the deep litter system?

I am going to do a deep litter system in my hoop coop chicken run. I currently have an Eglu Cube in the run and was thinking of putting Sweet PDZ in the litter tray in the cube. Then, when I scoop the poop out each morning it would get added to the deep litter and stirred in. My question is: does the Sweet PDZ interfer with the good microbes/critters that you want to promote in the deep litter system?
Sweet PDZ is the best for Cube litter tray. Works so well! I scoop mine into a bucket and when full, dump in my compost pile. I’m not sure Id want to add it *all* to the run, but if you have enough space, it might work. I just think it might add up pretty fast.

Sweet PDZ is the best for Cube litter tray. Works so well! I scoop mine into a bucket and when full, dump in my compost pile. I’m not sure Id want to add it *all* to the run, but if you have enough space, it might work. I just think it might add up pretty fast.
I have a small coop and use sweet pdz as the flooring. I also scoop into a bucket for the compost pile. The run is deep liter with primarily wood chips from the township's free pile.

I think the bucket is a great idea!
I feel the need to provide a public service announcement:
When you dump that bucket, it will clear your sinuses and the sinuses of any neighbor within 50 feet. Just sayin'.

After a couple of days the stench fades. This is also why you want to use a cat litter bucket with a flip lid that you can close when you store it in your coop. And look out Lucy when you open it to make additions! 😵‍💫

But when you layer that with fine sawdust or other dry carbon (which greatly helps knock down the stench factor) and let it cook for a year, does it ever do wonderful things for your veggie garden. My tomato plants literally grew taller than me and got so heavy they collapsed the heavy duty cages they were supported in.

This is also why you want to use a cat litter bucket with a flip lid that you can close when you store it in your coop. And look out Lucy when you open it to make additions! 😵‍💫
oh my gosh yes this. and make sure it has a lid. especially if it rains. or if you have dogs. 🤢 both those lessons were learned the hard way. i found a plastic “commode pail” with a handle and lid on amzn that works perfect and so much cheaper than a metal pail. sometimes if i have some handy i will throw a scoop of soil on top of the poop to keep the stink down a little longer.

Last edited:
I feel the need to provide a public service announcement:
When you dump that bucket, it will clear your sinuses and the sinuses of any neighbor within 50 feet. Just sayin'.

After a couple of days the stench fades. This is also why you want to use a cat litter bucket with a flip lid that you can close when you store it in your coop. And look out Lucy when you open it to make additions! 😵‍💫

But when you layer that with fine sawdust or other dry carbon (which greatly helps knock down the stench factor) and let it cook for a year, does it ever do wonderful things for your veggie garden. My tomato plants literally grew taller than me and got so heavy they collapsed the heavy duty cages they were supported in.
Okay, filing this away under "important things to remember!" Thanks for the warning!

The last three years i have been using wood chips/ deep litter run and pzd on poop board. I add it to a compost pile not the run.
My 10X30 run needs new chip every 5 months or so. If i put the poop board droppings in the run it would speed up the digestion of my litter for sure.
Love the set up and pzd is the bomb. No flies, smell or hard work with this set up.

Back
Top Bottom