1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deep litter in small spaces?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jjakaus, Aug 13, 2013.

1. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    HI Everyone! Just looking for some advice. I had a large coop and LOVED using the deep litter method. We have had to move and have a much smaller coop. Total footprint is about 8x4 and about 6in deep. Is the deep litter method still advisable? Obviously I will have to do more than one yearly change, but it obviously gets dirty much faster. I only have 4 birds and they also have constant access to a 8x12ish run. I also have a poop board under their roost, so I know that helps a lot. Thanks for any advice!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think deep litter works in most size situations, just elevate water and feed so they don't scratch the litter into it.

3. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    One of my coops is about that size and the deep litter method works great!

4. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    Thanks!! CrazyComb, do you have a set schedule on how often you totally clean it out or does it stay cleaner than I am anticipating?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is totally dependent on stocking density and when they're let out in the morning.
    An 8X6 coop with 10 hens outside most of the day gets cleaned completely about 3 times a day here.

6. mysticgmekeepr

mysticgmekeepr New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG]

These are my 3 roosters, Silkie, bantam blue Cornish, barred rock. I have no idea how to get a photo posted here

7. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I have had that setup since February so 6 months and I have not cleaned it, just add shavings on top and the chickens do the rest. It is really that simple. I am thinking about scooping all of the shavings out in October and starting fresh but we will see. It really IS clean in my coop!

8. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I should add that my chickens are outside most of the time. They are only in the coop when it is raining or at night.

9. Urbanchicster

Urbanchicster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Does your coop have a dirt floor or a raised floor?

I have 4 chickens in an urban environment and trying to figure out coop design. I'm advocating for deep litter on a dirt floor, while the hubby-to-be wants a raised floor.

With the chickens always have access to the run, are they scratching around in the coop enough for deep litter to work??

10. TwistedFeathers

TwistedFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2014
    New Zealand
    I have a small coop, maybe 4x5. It's on a dirt floor, and i started out with a bed of hay, and i am now topping it up with leaves, as it's autumn here, and they do turn it over. I put a couple of small piles of wheat on top of the litter, and even on nice days it does get dug up. They are more active in there on icky days. They have 24 hour access to a run, and i let them free range in the backyard when i am home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by