Deep litter method for chicks?

WallTenters

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Sweet Home, OR
I've been kind of experimenting with this and so far I love it. Of course, the little chooks don't stir in as much as they should, so I just go in once and a while and stir everything up. This has cut my cleanings from twice a week or so to every second or third week. I could probably go much longer, but I love the LOOK of clean shavings
big_smile.png

So far all the chicks are 100% healthy, dust is much less, and the shavings have that dirty look but clean feel just like the DL in the adult bird's coop. The little poos get dried up and just become part of the landscape.

Our little chicks get moved to wire bottomed cages at about a month old, so I'm thinking I could push the cleanings out that far and be just fine. Again, I could probably just let them be and all would be well, but I like the clean fluffy golden look of new shavings
big_smile.png

Anyone else tried this?

The chicks were eating the paper towels I was lining the brooder with. Changed to deep litter method and it's great. I agree the mess is less, the cleaning is less, and they don't eat them.

Back
Top Bottom