When we got the coop, it said it would hold 6-8 chickens... I suppose it was wrong, what should I do? They are still small, so it’s not too crowded, and they always have access to the run during the day....

Unfortunately, commercially-made coops almost always say that they hold more chickens than they really should. They take advantage of beginners who don't know what they should look for. 😢

You've already started to expand your run. In time you should work on expanding your coop too.

If your run is predator-proofed you can leave the pop door open 24/7 and that will help.

Its a very attractive coop - expanding the run was a great start, now begin thinking about how you will expand the hen house - likely wider, rather than longer, matching the existing roof line. That will minimize the amount of new fencing you will need if you then choose to expand the run to the same width.

Commercial hen houses seem to be "sized" the same way camping tents are. Physically "Fit" within, not Physically "Comfortable" within.

Like you, I'm brand new at this, but I've come to three early conclusions. 1) once you get "the bug", a few chicks is never enough, and 2) a lot of behavior problems in the flock are cured by more space. 3) if you should start breeding, or buy another batch of "littles", or for a host of other reasons, at some point, you will need to separate some of your flock.

Bigger is almost always better in this case.
this was very helpful!

Unfortunately, commercially-made coops almost always say that they hold more chickens than they really should. They take advantage of beginners who don't know what they should look for. 😢

You've already started to expand your run. In time you should work on expanding your coop too.

If your run is predator-proofed you can leave the pop door open 24/7 and that will help.
Okay, thanks so much for all this advice!

Premade coops almost always over estimate what they can actually hold. You will be OK for a little while, but I would start planning on a bigger coop, or figure how to expand this one. Often the most economical way to get a bigger coop is to convert a used shed. The more run space you have it can somewhat help with a smaller coop. Even if you don't get a larger number of chickens (and most of us get struck with "chicken math" at some point and end up with more than we planned, sometimes a lot more) any time you add or replace birds that's going to make for cramped integration and spats. Deep litter works in covered runs, as said, some moisture is OK, but wet and soggy is not, so heavy rains could leave you with a stinking mess. Basically, if you start smelling stink, then something isn't right. I use deep litter in my covered run, my coop has poop boards so I scrape those daily and clean the coop as necessary. My run can go much longer than the interior of the coop can for cleaning. My covered run is open to the coop, and open to their open, grassed, fenced area during all daylight hours, so they are outside most of the day unless it's pouring rain.
Thank you!

Definitely need a bigger coop. I made the mistake of buying one like yours and it turned out to be nothing but a headache. I also wanted to do the DLS so I made a bigger coop with the help of a dog kennel! Love it and the girls do to!

Definitely need a bigger coop. I made the mistake of buying one like yours and it turned out to be nothing but a headache. I also wanted to do the DLS so I made a bigger coop with the help of a dog kennel! Love it and the girls do to!
Awesome, thank you so much. I think I might try to add 3.5 feet to the coop, but we’ll see. I’m going to post a thread asking for suggestions in a bit.

Question..... What is the best material to use in the coop and run for DLM? I've heard sand (what kind of sand?), pine shavings, pine straw etc...?
And the DLM still has to be tended to daily? Just scoop the poop and and more material as needed? And then I won't have to super clean the coop for a year?!

Last edited:
Question..... What is the best material to use in the coop and run for DLM? I've heard sand (what kind of sand?), pine shavings, pine straw etc...?
And the DLM still has to be tended to daily? Just scoop the poop and and more material?

It may help you get answers if you start a new thread here.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/
Toward the top right is the start new thread button.

I don't think sand would be good for the DLM.

Back
Top Bottom