Deep Litter Method in the run????

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
OK, so i have decided that im going to put in place the DLM for winter, My coop is three storys and it consists of roosts and nesting boxes, so in side the coop is not an option, but i was thinking that my run could benifit from it.
I am consistenly cleaning off chicken poop from the buttom of my shoes. my cleaning shedual is every other day clean out the poop from in side and change the shavings, and rake the run every weekend, then apply DE and fresh hay,
BUT what if i don't rake and just keep adding? i have read for winter straw is better. and because i am using DE im not to worried about lice and mites.
so i bought a huge bail of straw and am planing on throwing it all down this weekend, with a new dusting of DE; aswell as i plan on adding all the little pieces of bark my dog has chewed up, ( she must have broken down a small forest in willow bark this summer), and a good helping a shavings aswell....

is this a good idea? Is my mix of (STRAW, DE, Shavings, an small pieces of bark) good enough? Should i add something, or take out something else to make it better?

and has anyone used the DLM for housing their Quial? i have a small coop and run for my four Quail, im asking this because i here it will help and keep out the cold.

I use pine shavings in the coop & sand in the run. I hand pick the poop out of the coop daily & put it in my compost bin. Using this procedure enables me from changing out the pine shavings they last forever. I wouldn't add shavings to the run but I do add leaves in the winter. They love scratching through the leaves it gives the birds something to do.

I use deep litter in my covered run (pine shavings). I add a new bale about this time every year without removing any of the old shavings. The run is about 12' x 16'. Most of the poo gets buried, but I do remove anything noticable when I'm in cleaning the poop board in the coop (daily). The only thing I don't like is the shavings get kicked out of the run.

I use sand in the coop and wood mulch and shavings in the run. My hens are free range so they rarely spend time in the run so it doesn't get very messy. I love the sand in the coop, because it is like a big kitty litter box. So easy to scoop up, especially if their poop is a little wet. I believe our cat is even using it as her litter box now. LOL!

Quote:
What's wrong with straw?

Have you ever heard of those old homes made out of adobe? That's basically straw mixed with clay. So .. 1 part mud + 1 part straw + drying time = concrete
smile.png

Quote:
What's wrong with straw?

It gets well moldy and stinky when wet and cant dry out. It starts to break down and gets a bit slimy.

I start out with 3" of pine shaving in the coop and clean daily what I see and stit the entire coop then 2 times a month throw down a bit of fresh wood shavings. Been doing it now on this inside coop and brooder for a few months and wont change out the entire coop until spring/summer.

Welcome to the BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
What about a grass run that only has 2 chickens? even though it's big and still has grass, it's starting to get poopy. Should I just keep trying to pick out the poo from the grass? Hard to do when it's been raining nonstop!
Tx,
N. VA.

Back
Top Bottom