Deep litter method

We will set up our coop this weekend and will use it in a few weeks as the chicks grow older. I'm reading up on this deep litter method. Does it apply to the run as well? Right now the area we have planned to use is covered in ivy type plants. I don't know if we should dig those up, put in sand or rocks as I've seen others do. Or should I leave the Ivy and throw straw and whatever on it periodically? Didn't know if they'd like picking thru the ivy for bugs every day or if straw should be down.

On this deep littering, I understand sort of how to do it in the house part of the coop but in the run it seems to me it might get more moisture than it should. What should I do there?

Please forgive my newbie questions. Just want to get it right the first time.

Oh, and to start this deep little thing do I just go buy a block of hay/straw (which is better) or pine shavings or what?
Hi ContessaKris!

I use pine shavings inside the coop for the DL method. I like the pine shavings because the composting action of DL breaks it down quickly and I can put it right into my garden. With straw or hay, I'd have to put it in a compost pile first to break it down enough to use in the garden.

You'll find people with very strong opinions on whether to use straw or hay or pine shavings or sand. I use pine shavings because it works for me. No other reason.

As long as the ivy on the run isn't of the "poison" variety, I'd leave it there and let the chickens eat it.

As for the run, I'm assuming you have a dirt floor there. I'd leave it alone and not add any shavings or chips or anything. Leave it natural. If it gets poopy, you could always add another layer of dirt from elsewhere in your yard. I have a dirt-floor run and 26 chickens. All I do is occasionally rake things up in there. Usually, I simply put some grains on the dirt floor and let the chickens do the raking when they scratch. Sometimes, I'll give them a bunch of weeds from the garden or grass clippings and all of that just works its way into the dirt on the floor of the run.

Have fun with your chickens!

Due to the size of my backyard, and this being my first time, I went with a smallish coop for my two chickens (only a couple weeks old at the moment). This is my coop, and I purchased the compatible extended run. Obviously I can't do the deep litter method in the coop area, but there's a pull-out try I can use for daily cleaning that should be easy enough. My initial thought was to line the dirt floor of the run(s) with pine chavings a few inches high and do the DLM there....until I saw your post.

Would doing the DLM method in the run area not make sense? Do the chickens do most of their deed while roosting in the coop? I imagine, do to the warm weather of Sacramento, that my chickens will be spending most of their time int he run area (and roaming the backyard when I'm home and can watch them), which is why I figured using the DLM in the run made sense.

Looking for any/all advice! Thanks!

I would not recommend leaving a dirt floor in a run if your girls are confined there for any period of time. Also if it rains it will be very muddy. You want some compostable materials wherever chickens spend time as they poo a lot and open poo attracts flies and nasties. Things like leaves and mulch/wood chips and shavings do a good job of aiding composting good bugs and allow the chicken poo to be composted down to good soils. Instead the poo or rain create a toxic soup if not handled well.

Last edited:
Due to the size of my backyard, and this being my first time, I went with a smallish coop for my two chickens (only a couple weeks old at the moment). This is my coop, and I purchased the compatible extended run. Obviously I can't do the deep litter method in the coop area, but there's a pull-out try I can use for daily cleaning that should be easy enough. My initial thought was to line the dirt floor of the run(s) with pine chavings a few inches high and do the DLM there....until I saw your post.

Would doing the DLM method in the run area not make sense? Do the chickens do most of their deed while roosting in the coop? I imagine, do to the warm weather of Sacramento, that my chickens will be spending most of their time int he run area (and roaming the backyard when I'm home and can watch them), which is why I figured using the DLM in the run made sense.

Looking for any/all advice! Thanks!

Hi Cosmosis and
welcome-byc.gif
and the thread.

The ideal place for DLM is on the dirt, on the ground, That's where all the good organisms originate that break down the litter materials. That's where the earth worms are that digest all that plant material that we want "composted." There's really no need to put pine chips in the run area... just put in raked up leaves, garden debris, grass clippings, etc. Throw in some scratch or BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) every now and again, and you won't even need to "turn" it... the chickens will do all that work for you :) For those of us with raised coops, who want to do DLM inside, many actually put in dirt/started compost from their yard to initiate the process and provide that starter "kick" of microbes and bacteria that can't get there on their own (raised coop, not in contact w/the ground). Hope that helps :)

If Your Neighbors are like Mine ;They don't want the Bees around,But They SURE want the Honey.LOL Now They don't wanted the Roos to crow (I live way ... out in the country )But They want to Know IF My "Chickens are having Eggs yet"?

Last edited:
It will actually increase their immune system health and keep their brooding area cleaner....to me that's optimal for new chicks. When I brood mine I do it directly in the deep litter of my adult bird coop, they are exposed to all the coop's germs from the beginning so they can form immunities right away.

This is one reason broody raised chicks are more hardy than those brooded by us indoors and away from environmental pathogens.
Hatching began today! I have 2 out so far and 4 still coming along. Here as the video of the brooder I mentioned. Any suggestions for changes?

Thanks much!

Saw your video. Pretty nice set up for temporary quarters. I'm wondering though, where is your access point? At the hardware cloth?

Apparently you have a hen hatching out your chicks? Hopefully she is fiercely protective of them. I wouldn't keep them separated any longer than absolutely necessary, say maybe 2 weeks at the most. Just long enough to be sure they're eating and drinking well and know where their food/water supply is. With the hen to protect them, you can let them mix among the flock... it will go better for the chicks. I'd watch older flock members, particularly other young birds if you have them... say a young cockerel coming into sexual maturity just might decide he doesn't like the chicks and might go after them. I had that issue here last week as a young cockerel who was only alive to get to butchering weight decided he didn't like some chicks and treated them poorly. It was only about 2-3 weeks before I had intended to dispatch him but I moved it up as he was disrupting the flock altogether and the older boys had taken to running him off the food too and I didn't want him to be tough eating so I did the deed early. Now, all is peaceful again and the chicks are free to move around without being harassed.

Back
Top Bottom