Deep litter method

I am curious about the deep litter method but don't have the time and patience to sit here and read 163 pages.
smile.png
I am thinking I will wind up with about 12 chickens in a 6' x 12' coop. I will be putting vinyl flooring down. I also have about 19 yards of wood chips from a tree service that was dumped here ( with my permission) Probably mostly elm. here is a lot of small stuff, quarter size, but some bigger stuff and a few little sticks. My question is will these wood chips work and sense I have so much how much should go down?

I started my outdoor deep litter run, 14'x14', by putting in 20 yards of wood chips.

It covered the run about 18" deep.

It took about 3 years before I really needed to start adding more.

My indoor coop flooring gets pine shavings, 8 - 12" deep.

As there is not enough moisture to properly compost indoors, it is removed and put into the outdoor run around every 18 months.

There, it breaks down completely 6 months later.

well i cleaned out my camper coop half way, i left the part at the end with roosts put new chips and mixed every thing up smells good, then i mixed up the coop one looked good, we went to chicken auction and came home with a roos and 4 hens all rir. moved all old into camper and new ones in coop, going to keep them in a couple days just to get use to it and us then inter to rest of flock, it is really cold out, we want to make sure they know where the feed and water are plus that they are health. they look good and was talking to man who owned them, nd he is going to call us so we can see his farm, plus he has the delaware blues so i want them.

well i cleaned out my camper coop half way, i left the part at the end with roosts put new chips and mixed every thing up smells good, then i mixed up the coop one looked good, we went to chicken auction and came home with a roos and 4 hens all rir. moved all old into camper and new ones in coop,  going to keep them in a couple days just to get use to it and us then inter to rest of flock, it is really cold out, we want to make sure they know where the feed and water are plus that they are health.  they look good and was talking to man who owned them, nd he is going to call us so we can see his farm, plus he has the delaware blues so i want them.

How many do you havr all together now? I'm getting ready to order the first 8 of ours for feb 23 hatch. I'm gonna make the trip and pick them up at the hatchery. The shipping thing worries me while its cold out. The other 2 we are buying from a breeder and will get them as pullets 1/2 grown. Im really getting excited! We pick up the coop tomorrow and my dad finally agreed to do the repairs and improvements on it to help us out.I still have to build the run.

Last edited:
Got the starter coop home. It needs some repairs and we've decided we need it to be quite a bit bigger. We are going to add on. It will eventually be approximately 5x10. Will also have a run approximately 15x15. Part of the run will be covered with clear plastic sheeting to allow light and shelter. We will be planting flowers and veggies around the outside of the run both for shade and to maximize the use of space. We are also researching diy solar lighting and heat for winter. Our house was built in 1900. The wiring is quite old. We can't run extension cord to the coop area. Its too far and kicks the breaker. Therefore, we hope to make the coop completely self sufficient. Also considering doing a "planted" roof. To help keep it warm in winter and cool in summer. I might put my strawberry plants up there:). I will definitely be trying deep litter. We may end up dividing the run so that we can keep grass growing. We can then alternate which run they use. Any thoughts? I'm still learning so any ideas or tweaking of our plan would be appreciated.

How about grow frames in your run so you won't have to alternate?
That's a good idea! Ive seen people make boxes with grass growing in them and wire on top. I have fibromyalgia and a bad back and that seemed heavy if I have to move them. Just frames that sit over the grass would work tho and if I dont make them too large they'd be easy to move. Thanks!

What about starting out on a grass floor and add deep litter method to that, would that be a problem?

Not a bit of problem. Should give you an even better start on keeping your soils loose and absorptive underfoot.

If this is in a run, you might consider making some grow frames and placing over one section of the grass so you'll still have some forage for them in your run and won't have to add that feature later on.

Thanks Bekissed and Kris for the quick answers.
Right on the grass is where I am starting my new brood of chickens.
I will be checking back on this forum for more help as I get things going.:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom