Deep litter method

Pics
my coop recently got more smelly than normal even though it didnt look to be messier...I wondered if it was the added moisture from wet muddy feet going in and out, mine the dogs and the chickens. Also a couple of wet feather days when they came in from the rain and shook off. I opened up some extra ventilation and I havent cleaned out the coop yet, but things improved quickly after we had some drier days.

I've read this whole thread and I have a question about ducks. I understand it might not work with ducks cause their poo is so wet, but is food grade DE safe to use around ducks? I am thinking it might help keep the flys away.

Vicki

I am becoming less of a deep litter admirer. lol. I mean, in certain situations that necessitate it like large poultry flock farming where you also have ample ventilation in big poultry barns and enough birds to generate their own heat and enough room that they can get back and away from any harsh winds - TRUE deep litter methods are understandable in my opinion. But with a small backyard flock of six, its becoming more tempting to use drop boards under roosts and keeping enough litter on the floor to keep it dry but never truly "deep" I haven't had to clean my coop litter out though either. And I haven't added any litter material in a good while. The drop board daily cleaning keep it managable and keep the ammonia odor down. I also have ample ventilation. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and what I've discovered to work for me along the way. Your own experiences will guide you what works best for you. And I know NOTHING about ducks. lol. But hope to have a separate duck house for them because of the mess you mention. lol. I am anxious to hear someones knowledgable post about keeping ducks and chickens together - I would assume that it might require either a good daily housekeeping routine OR a good understanding of deep litter methods. lol. or both.

I'm getting ready to cut the hole for my pop door. What would you recommend for a height off the floor if using the deep litter method? Seems if I put the door even with the floor all the shavings as they build up will fall out the door.

I purchased 40 lbs. of Food Grade DE today from Mill's Fleet Farm in Stevens Point, WI. for $15.99.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
Metzie
Today 8:40 pmI purchased 40 lbs. of Food Grade DE today from Mill's Fleet Farm in Stevens Point, WI. for $15.99.

woot.gif

woot.gif

woot.gif

that is AWESOME!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom