Deep litter method

Pics
thx to those who responded to my idea for a wire floor, do oyu think it'd work well to have 'poop boards' about 8" or so beneath the wire and then have about that thick of grass clippings (dried prior to prevent clumping and stinking) as a deep litter method for the winter?

i assume that thick of clippings would be enough to insulate the coop and keep the birds warm in the winter, but of course i'm no expert...

also, the wire floor would provide more than enough ventilation in the warmer months, but with a chicken door that has a blanket or two hanging over it, would any other ventilation be needed in the winter?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I should be sleeping rather than reading and posting on my I pad but oh well. I just finished a "coop". Turned out more like a small barn. The living quarters for the lads and ladies is 10x12 with below grade dirt floors under which a layer of chicken wire is covered by a layer of poulty fencing (2x4) stapled and framed to the 4x6 ground frame and covered with 3 inches of dirt. I plan on using the deep litter method. The quarters have 4 21x48" industrial windows I salvaged that can be cracked or cranked wide open. The walls are 8 feet high. This opens to another 10x12 "room" via a residential double door (also salvaged). Room 2 is currently open on one side. I am thinking of adding sliding barn doors on the open side (advice being solicited). The roof extends six feet out in front the length of the "coop" farmers porch style. The whole structure will soon sit inside of 500 linear ft of fencing.

Now the questions; should I compost in room two as well as the living quarters? I expect to winter over 30 hens, if I let them out in the under cover area during winter days have I provided enough floor space or will I have amonia issues. I want happy healthy birds. In North Centeral MA it can get really cold in the winter what is more important heat or lack of humidity. When I was a kid I had 12 hens in. Six by six with no windows ridge vents and concrete floor with shavings. They never seemed cold but it did get pretty ripe inside. Can I mix shavings grass hay and other cuttings on he floor. When or if should lime be added and how much? The same goes for DE. I was planning on trenching around the entire structure a couple of feet and laying a perimeter drain under crushed stone. Is this necessary or overkill. The coop sits downslope where a moderate grade levels out. Iam worried about to much moisture with the deep litter method. With 60 birds in residence until the boys hit the freezer have I provided enough room overall.

Thanks for you comments and advice

Just wanted to post an update that I have been using the DLM for well over a year now. We have a small coup with only 4 hens in the city, it has worked great and I only clean it out every 4-6 months. I just sort of winged it to how much DE to add, and when to add more wood shavings. I really prefer this method over any other and recommend to anyone who cares to ask.

Quote:
I would never close off ventilation in wintertime. I just keep my windows cracked and the pop doors open all day long. BUT I have a 18" turbine vent overhead and two gable vents and full length soffit vents that are open and working year-round. I open windows wide and prop coop entrance door open in hot weather and even use an old box fan in shady west window if it will be 90 or more.

I use the grass clippings year round, cleaning coop and starting fresh each April or May. I just add them all year long and put them in really heavy in the fall. I add a bale or two of hay during winter time . I never pre dry the grass and never have had mold. I will never pick it up wet tho either. I always spread it inside green, if that is how I pick it up. If I pick it up dry like next day, then that is how it goes in. Have never had mold trouble and cannot imagine having to buy litter when I have free grass clippings. I really do not even have to spread it much. I just dump a garbage drum in two or three piles in the coop and the chooks root thru it and spread if for me
lol.png
NEVER store grass clippings overnight in a barrel tho. That can start mold. Do not be afraid to spread green fresh clippings in your coop unless you have an issue with dampness. Like with a dirt floor for instance.
cool.png

Are there any recommendations for nest box materials that will not interfere with DLM? If I use pine shavings, I expect the girls will quickly remove it. They won't be laying until September, but I want to get the nest boxes set up early. Is excelsior an option? Is it still available? Won't hay or straw be a source of mold in the DLM? Thanks for some helpful advice and observations. Henalaylady

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't have any lawn to cut grass from. What I do have in abundance are California poppies, most of which have dried and gone to seed. (My landscaping is rather native.) So I gathered up a large wad of dried stems and leaves and put them in the nest boxes, kind of swirly, then added some pine shavings. This might work. The poppy stems and branches might give them some substance to fool around with, but they'll be less able to kick out the shavings--that will provide some softness. I also put some DE in for good measure. We'll see in a month or two what the girls think. As of now, they haven't even investigated the nest boxes. Thanks for responding. Henalaylady

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom