Deep litter vs deep bedding method

Bushastead

Songster
Aug 19, 2019
I have been doing some research on deep litter method. While doing so I came across deep bedding method, and I am not understanding the difference. I understand that one is dry and one is moist. But the steps sound the same for both. Start with a few inches of pine shavings, stir every so often to introduce oxygen and add another layer. I don't know how one is dry and one is moist? Or the difference lol
Does anyone have more information on how these are different?
Thank you!

From my article, Using Deep Bedding in a Small Coop:

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.

Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

Deep Litter *can* be done inside a coop through the deliberate introduction of water to the bedding to maintain a moist environment, but it's more readily done in the run, especially an open run that is exposed to rain regularly.

Deep Bedding *can* be done in a run that is kept dry either by being roofed and sheltered or by being located in a dry climate where rain is rare and no water is introduced by other means.

Many people use Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run -- they work together that way as an integrated system of manure management with low labor input.

This is so helpful...I'm really appreciating the clarification. So if I have an 8" deep layer of dry pine shavings in my small 6'x5' backyard coop (for six non-bantam chickens), I'm actually using the deep bedding, *not* the deep litter method...do I have that right?

And so...what does that distinction mean for how often I need to be changing out that bedding? And - so many questions! - how does adding sweet PDZ or DE to those pine shavings affect how the deep bedding method works? I've had the same pine shavings in there for a few months (ever since moving the chicks to their forever home from their pen inside our house) under the erroneous belief that I was using the DLM and those pine shavings would eventually compost. I've been monitoring and have been thrilled to discover that we've had no ammonia buildup or other ill effects...but we had a couple of very hot days this week, and for the first time I noticed a strong ammonia smell in there, so I panicked and threw a bunch of PDZ in there. I came on this forum to try to figure out if I'd ruined my DLM situation with that addition, only to discover - I'm not actually using DLM at all! So...can anyone share advice about the method I'm actually using, what to expect, and what to do/not do? Any help welcome!

Sorry - I just realized that it maybe helps to clarify that I'm using a modified OverEZ large chicken coop, so it's got a (painted) wood floor and is situated a few feet off the ground.

Somehow I missed that link the first time around - thank you! What a great article. It doesn't answer my question about the PDZ, though. Now that there's PDZ mixed in with my pine shavings, can I still compost the whole thing when I clean it out - or does it mess up the composting, like the application of DE does? And does adding PDZ (which totally eliminated the ammonia odor in my coop) prolong the life of my current bedding, or should it not affect my cleanout schedule?

And for the future: since my deep bedding method is not self-composting (as in, not until I clean it out of my coop), is it better to add PDZ or DE to it to manage any ammonia buildup between cleanouts?

So grateful for others' wisdom on this...

Somehow I missed that link the first time around - thank you! What a great article. It doesn't answer my question about the PDZ, though. Now that there's PDZ mixed in with my pine shavings, can I still compost the whole thing when I clean it out - or does it mess up the composting, like the application of DE does? And does adding PDZ (which totally eliminated the ammonia odor in my coop) prolong the life of my current bedding, or should it not affect my cleanout schedule?

And for the future: since my deep bedding method is not self-composting (as in, not until I clean it out of my coop), is it better to add PDZ or DE to it to manage any ammonia buildup between cleanouts?

So grateful for others' wisdom on this...

I don't use Sweet PDZ, but I believe it's compostable. You might look on the manufacturer's website to double check.

I've never had ammonia issues in my situation, but I have always used the appearance of an odor that doesn't go away with more bedding as my sign to clean out.

What's your ventilation like?

Back
Top Bottom