DEEP SOUTH SUGGESTIONS

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
This will be our 1st. fall/winter with chickens .

Can anybody make suggestions for the coop/run during fall and winter months . We do have a coop and attached run for our flock . You know ways to keep it warm and safe . WARM but not to warm . I know ventilation is a must and NO CROSS DRAFTS .... ALSO , what about the run area ? WE DO NOT have power like for lights or heating in the coop and back of the coop is the NORTH .

We really don't hav e bad winters , BUT as crazy as the weather has been nationwide , I GUESS I can easily say , WE NEVER KNOW what to expect next .

OPEN to ALL SUGGESTIONS . FROM LAFAYETTE , LOUISIANA

Last edited:
Your weather and ours are pretty much the same, I usually don't heat my coop at all, but if it gets below 20 degrees I'll run a light out to the coop for a little heat until it warms up again.

I strap a tarp to the north side of the run fence to break some of the wind.

Quote:
Hubby has been collecting vinyl tarps ( BIG ONES ) like 12 x40 and Planning on drapping the 3 sides of the coop with that and also probably big enough to come over the top .

Would 3 sides draped be to much ?

Last edited:
our weather is probably close to yours too. we use thick mil plastic, but don't really need it. our birds are sheltered from most winds by a building on one side and as long as they are dry seem happy. you can increase their body temp by changing some of their feed to give them extra calories to help keep warm too.

i live in middle tennessee. and sometimes we get snow. I have my coop made of 4x8 panels of particleboard. 3 windows cut in 3sides and the door is the 4th. Have no problem, with the-cold weather .I usually put a good 6 inches of hay in the coop and change it frequently.If they get cold in the winter they go in the coop and also in the summer if it gets really hot they will also go inside the coop. marrie

IF we need anything, it's usually just a tarp across the North end to block the North winds. We also put down woodchips or a couple of square bales of hay on the ground in the winter to give them some insulation because 90% of the birds sleep on the ground. And they LOVE to scratch and play in the hay.

Back
Top Bottom