Deer Eatin Chickens?

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Recently got back a processed deer my youngest son and I shot 3 weeks ago. My family only likes (loves) when I make deer jerky and possibly the tenderloin cuts. The processor grinds up the leftovers after those 2 cuts and makes ground venison for burgers, chili, etc. Here is the problem - my family doesn't care much for the ground up venison. So, my question is this - do you think chickens would/could/should eat cooked ground up venison so it doesn't go to waste in our freezer? Let me know if you have ever heard of chickens eating deer meat and what were the outcomes. Thanks so much!!!

Recently got back a processed deer my youngest son and I shot 3 weeks ago. My family only likes (loves) when I make deer jerky and possibly the tenderloin cuts. The processor grinds up the leftovers after those 2 cuts and makes ground venison for burgers, chili, etc. Here is the problem - my family doesn't care much for the ground up venison. So, my question is this - do you think chickens would/could/should eat cooked ground up venison so it doesn't go to waste in our freezer? Let me know if you have ever heard of chickens eating deer meat and what were the outcomes. Thanks so much!!!

If you would do half beef and half deer I'm sure they would not tell the difference. I have a picky DIL and she didn't notice anything different from the chili. Try it.

I love to make little individual pies out of left over ground venison (with a good splash of red wine & some veges). As suggested by kellieg1 - mix it up with some beef and no one will ever know
big_smile.png

Don't even bother cooking it. Whenever I get a deer I throw the carcass into the coop until they pick it clean. All scraps from processing that I don't want for ground venison is split between the dog and the chickens. Right now I have a bucket of frozen venison scraps in the freezer that I will soon thaw out and throw to the hens. It will be gone long before anything can spoil (Note: I am in Ohio, and since deer season is in colder weather, spoilage isn't a major issue).

Back
Top Bottom