Deer Eatin Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SouthernBYChickens, Jan 20, 2012.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Recently got back a processed deer my youngest son and I shot 3 weeks ago. My family only likes (loves) when I make deer jerky and possibly the tenderloin cuts. The processor grinds up the leftovers after those 2 cuts and makes ground venison for burgers, chili, etc. Here is the problem - my family doesn't care much for the ground up venison. So, my question is this - do you think chickens would/could/should eat cooked ground up venison so it doesn't go to waste in our freezer? Let me know if you have ever heard of chickens eating deer meat and what were the outcomes. Thanks so much!!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    No worries. They'll eat it and it will be good protein for them.

3. kellieg1

kellieg1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Marthasville
    If you would do half beef and half deer I'm sure they would not tell the difference. I have a picky DIL and she didn't notice anything different from the chili. Try it.

4. Bernard P. Fife

Bernard P. Fife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Alabama
    When I read your post title I thought some deer were after your chickens! :D

4 people like this.
  5. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    I love to make little individual pies out of left over ground venison (with a good splash of red wine & some veges). As suggested by kellieg1 - mix it up with some beef and no one will ever know [​IMG]

6. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado

[​IMG] Glad I wasnt the only one.[​IMG]

7. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Don't even bother cooking it. Whenever I get a deer I throw the carcass into the coop until they pick it clean. All scraps from processing that I don't want for ground venison is split between the dog and the chickens. Right now I have a bucket of frozen venison scraps in the freezer that I will soon thaw out and throw to the hens. It will be gone long before anything can spoil (Note: I am in Ohio, and since deer season is in colder weather, spoilage isn't a major issue).

8. SouthernBYChickens

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I'll give it a try. Thanks!

9. SouthernBYChickens

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Well, I noticed that I should have put the apostrophe after the word "eatin", but it was late at night and I was very tired. I kind of thought the title would catch a little attention. :)

10. SouthernBYChickens

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    YOU GIVE YOUR CHICKENS RED WINE?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by