DeerBlock Netting?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dornes, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    I am working on a plan for a newer/bigger coop and run area for some of my ladies and was doing a search for avian netting and this come up: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gardener-6050-DeerBlock--100-Foot/dp/B00004RA0N/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310328832&sr=8-3

I
    am wondering if any of you have used this? My plan was to just put it on the top of the run, as the sides are chain link fence with chicken wire on the bottom....

Would this work? If it can keep a deer from barreling into a garden, it surely could keep chickens from flying out and predators from swooping in?

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I got something like that from Lowes, called deer blocker. I used it on the top of run to deter hawks,,,,, I don't think it would stop Raccoons. I think they could just chew a hole in it big enough to get in.
    Also be careful with the chicken wire....Raccoons can get their little arms/hands thru the 1" kind and grab chickens. they are plenty strong and will pull parts of chickens thru wire.
    i have done the same thing as you with my new run.... i had a garden 12 x 45' surrounded with chain link, I put the chicken wire over it and that deer blocker also. I will not let my chickens stay in the run at night. Before dark they MUST go into the coop, which is predator proof.
    My two Great Danes Patrol the grounds at night and day.
    Good luck, happy building

3. Dornes

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    Thanks so much. I do not ever let my ladies stay in the run at night. They must be locked up in the coop when dusk falls, and they know this - they are usually in the roost before I get out there anyways [​IMG]

4. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it for my oegb with a plastic fencing for first 2 feet it works great for keeping em in and its cheap

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Ooooh good price. i am looking at overhead coverage for runs. I need to cover at least 24 feet wide by 50 long. so two rolls may do it. with some left over.... [​IMG]

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got that over my 6'X55' run. It is pretty tough for being so thin but would not keep racoons out. I bought mine at Home Depot a couple of years ago to keep birds out of my tomatoes. Deer, being bovine, will not challange it as in going through it, but will definately jump over it.

7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Lowes carries it for $20 dollars aroun where i live so 3 bucks cheaper....

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    ...and bunch it up around the bottom of your run, too, keeps snakes out.

deb g

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've used it around my garden - you get a LOT for super cheap. Since you put your chickies in each night, I think it'd work great to cover your run. If a hawk was desperate, I'm sure one could tear through it, but it'd probably get all tangled up in and be defeated anyhow...lol. That stuff catches on everything, so beware of curse words when using it...lol.

10. Dornes

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    Quote:I will be sure hubby is nowhere near me when that goes up.... lol

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was sure hoping it would work and am glad to hear that others have used it with success [​IMG] And great tip about the snakes! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by