defective egg gland?

carolinasculpture

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hi All,
I have a 2 year old hen who is consistently laying very soft or un-shelled eggs. She has free choice oyster shells, layer feed, regular low salt content water. She usually lays the egg in question on the roost, so they either come late in the day or early in the morning. Anyway, she used to lay hard-shelled eggs. Do the egg shell glands "wear out"? At this point, I am guessing that it won't go away, but was interested to find if it is due to age or something else I haven't considered. She is either a hatchery Barred Rock or a hatchery Production Red. I haven't figured out which one it is just yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Carolina,

I had a barred rock that was laying defective shells. Here is how mine got fixed.

1. egg shells in the food processor pulverized to a powder
2. a raw egg
3. vitamin D3 tablet (they are pretty tiny) crushed up to a powder
4. some good quality layer feed with calcium

Mix together and feed to your defective shell hen. The raw egg is gooey and holds the powders to the feed-- also gives her a protein boost.

Add 1Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water. If her problem is nutritional, you should see improvement just a few days.

Hi, I'm curious as to if this works for you. I also have a hen that lays a very soft shelled egg (sometimes just a membrane.) Not sure if it is my Barred Rock (Mrs. Rock) or the Rhode Island Red (Red) I've tried changing her food, was told to crush the oyster shell and put in her food. Every once in a while, I get a perfect egg but there is nothing like picking up that egg and having it squish in your hand!! lol
ep.gif

Hi! Thanks!

Chickat, I will give it a try! Was it only your Barred Rock? Just curious if it is something about the breed. Did you just feed it to the Barred Rock or everyone? The rest of them, with the exception of one other, have very hard thick shells.

Sally8, I find it interesting that you have the same 2 hens as your suspects! I think I may add a little food coloring to a vent and see whom the real culprit is. I suspect both since some days I have 2 very soft eggs. I'll keep you posted.

I just went to collect my eggs tonight and found a very soft egg with a tail on it. I do not have any Barred Rocks Laying now.. But I'm not sure who lay ed it All my girls are a little over 1 year old and have been laying nicely all winter. They have been getting oyster shells freely guess I will go back to putting some in there food and I will try the apple cider vinegar in there water and the vitamins also. They all can use some yummy treats if it will help.

Hi! Thanks!

Chickat, I will give it a try! Was it only your Barred Rock? Just curious if it is something about the breed. Did you just feed it to the Barred Rock or everyone? The rest of them, with the exception of one other, have very hard thick shells.

Sally8, I find it interesting that you have the same 2 hens as your suspects! I think I may add a little food coloring to a vent and see whom the real culprit is. I suspect both since some days I have 2 very soft eggs. I'll keep you posted.
It was my barred plymouth rock who is the highest in the pecking order of my flock... She is also the largest. I have a hatchmate of hers that did lay 1 membrane egg---

Here's what I kind of think it is--- I got some feed that wasn't very good--and my BPRs being the eldest and largest needed the most calcium and weren't getting it. My other layers started in November and Feb. respectively--- so they haven't depleted their calcium reserves like the BPRs. I did give the dish to my whole flock but Hester (aka 'MIss Piggy') ended up with most of it. To get a special feed or medication to just one of mine---I would have to pen her separately, I think. I think it is more size of chicken than breed. I do have oyster shell always there...and I crush their eggshells too--- I thought that they would just gobble what they needed...but one of mine laid a total of 17-18 with either no shell or paper thin shell during the last part of the last 12-months. Oh, sunlight makes a difference too--- And here they are being blasted with sunshine now--- I wish a little less!!

Hi, just wondering how you've made out with the soft shell issue. My Barred Rock went broody and the soft shells almost disappeared. At first she was still laying but then I think she stopped. I even bought fertile eggs to place under her but she pecked holes in them. I also have found out that she is the egg pecker. It took 2 months to get her off the nest. Hope you made out better than I. :)

Hi! Still having soft eggs, but she is S....L....O....W.....L.....Y molting. She started in about April! I am hopeful that once she is finally done (if she doesn't just go ahead and start again) she will be back to normal. How did you get your broody off the nest. I have a BO that won't budge! I have tried everything listed here with no results. She is REALLY dedicated! I am afraid she is gonna cook herself in the coop all day. I kick her out in the morning and the evening. She drinks, eats, poos and goes right back in!

I swear by the wire-cage-and-dunk-their-butts-in-cold-water method to break broodiness! Took me 4 days to break a stubborn Speckled Sussex!
Got 5 out of 6 laying like crazy now, even in the heat!

Kate

Back
Top Bottom