Defects in Quail Hatchlings

rjs55555

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Latrobe, PA
I was curious as to what defects Coturnix quail have when hatching.

I had one hatch that had severe crossbeak. You could not even see his one eye. his head was that contorted. I felt that he needed culled due to the severity of its problem. How common is crossbeak in jumbo browns? Does it occur more in one color than another.

Also What are other common problems that hatchlings have?

There are a lot of defects on hatchlings due to heredity.

A great book to check out

The Hatchability of Chicken Eggs as Influenced by Environment and Heredity by Walter Landauer

It is for chickens but quail have experienced similar defects.

Cross beak and coturnix leg problems are generally considered genetic problems, but they are mostly caused by a bad bator, or people busting chicks out early.

I didn't read the book, but I should.

For the record, I have had 3 out of around 2000 with cross beak. 10 out of the same with leg problems, and ZERO with contorted heads and missing eyes. I think it's a whole comedy errors going on in your bator, mixed with a bust them out thing going on.

If you leave the less than 1/10th of one percent of the mutant chicks to die in the shell, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not judging anyone. I'm just saying
smile.png

Quote:
Who said anything about bust them out. I do not bust my chicks out. He was somehow able to unzip and out out on his own.

I let mother nature takes its course and do not think intervening is the way to go.

The book is great. I got it at a used college bookstore in 2004. If anyone has difficulty finding it, I can try to get some copies. Curled beaks, hatching with hearts attatched to the outside, like Joe said, some is due to heredity and others environmentally. But it's best to let nature takes it's course. Unfortunately artificial incubation does bring out more environmental causes, so busting chicks out of shells is not the only ways for them to be this way
wink.png

Quote:
Who said anything about bust them out. I do not bust my chicks out. He was somehow able to unzip and out out on his own.

I let mother nature takes its course and do not think intervening is the way to go.

I THINK THIS IS THE BEHAVIOR JOE WAS TRYING TO PROMOTE IN HIS STATEMENT AND IT WAS GENERALIZED, NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN SPECIFIC.
smile.png

I got an email from the person I got the eggs from. She gets a few of the crossed beaks from time to time. She said the whites throw a lot more crossed beaks than the browns and she has them mixed. Definately genetic.

I am assuming that 99% of these die in the shell.

Crossed Beak Is Often Times Considered Too Much Inbreeding. I Cant Say That For Sure, Thats Just A General Statement Many Times Heard Or Seen In The Industry. If It Routinely Shows Up In A Flock It Certainly Gives It A Solid Genetic Base For Whatever Reason.

Quote:
I would not doubt that is the issue. I think she has been switching birds out for 2 or more years and not getting new blood. I could be wrong but I have a hunch that is the case.

Thats A Likely Cause.

Either Way If Its Happening On A Regular Basis Thats A Clear Cut Sign Its Time To Fill The Freezer And Start Over With New Stock From A Different Source

Back
Top Bottom