Deficient chickens?

I feed Purina Layena and it does not have animal protein in it. My chickens are completely vegetarian fed and are doing quite well without adding animal protein to their diets so I will have to disagree that animal protein is the only way to go. Not trying to argue, just making my point.

Try switching to Blue Seal feed if you can find it in your area. It could be the feed, not just the protein.
wink.png

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'v been going some research and making homemade feed doesnt seem too hard. I plan on using this recipe:
•2 parts whole corn
•3 parts soft white wheat
•3 parts hard red winter wheat
•1 part hulled barley
•1 part oat groats
•2 part sunflower seeds
•½ part peanuts
•3 parts millet
•1 part wheat bran
•1 part split peas
•1 part lentils
•1 part quinoa
•1 part sesame seeds
•1/2 part kelp
Does that sound about right? I'd love to hear any changes anyone has.
smile.png

The only thing you might have a hard time finding is the wheat. Feeds stores around here quit selling it this time of year and start back selling it in the fall. It could be different in your area though.

Good luck to you!
smile.png

Quote:
The one thing I see with that mixture is the person that came up with that mix is using "parts" and not "pounds".
Also there is no way to tell what the Protein percentage is. That feed mixture could be 10% protein or it could be a 28% protein.

(when working protein's in feed you use weight of grain. For example corn is around 8.8% protein per 100 lbs. If you take 8.8% protein ÷ 100 that gives you 0.088% protein per pound)
But when using parts (lets say cups) the weight will change from time to time due to moisture content and if your weight changes from time to time that means the protein will change also...

I also believe that you could stick with you feed that you are using know and just add Fish meal..

16% protein (your feed) ÷ 100 = .16
60% protein (fish meal) ÷ 100 = .60

.16 protein (your feed) x 85 (lbs) = 13.60% protein
.60 protein (fish meal) x 15 (lbs) = 9.0% protein

13.60% protein + 9.0% protein = 22.6% protein

So if you take 85 lbs (or 42.5 lbs) of your feed and add 15 lbs (or 7.5 lbs) of fish meal the feed mixture will now be 22.6% protein.
You then raised the protein and all so added a animal protein...

Chris

Chris Where do you typically find fish meal? I looked all over my feed store and they don't have it, tried an internet search and all I came up with where information articals or links to huge out of country plants that didn't really give me any information on distributors. And, do you find that it is low, moderate, or high in terms of pricing? Thanks...

Quote:
The one thing I see with that mixture is the person that came up with that mix is using "parts" and not "pounds".
Also there is no way to tell what the Protein percentage is. That feed mixture could be 10% protein or it could be a 28% protein.

(when working protein's in feed you use weight of grain. For example corn is around 8.8% protein per 100 lbs. If you take 8.8% protein ÷ 100 that gives you 0.088% protein per pound)
But when using parts (lets say cups) the weight will change from time to time due to moisture content and if your weight changes from time to time that means the protein will change also...

I also believe that you could stick with you feed that you are using know and just add Fish meal..

16% protein (your feed) ÷ 100 = .16
60% protein (fish meal) ÷ 100 = .60

.16 protein (your feed) x 85 (lbs) = 13.60% protein
.60 protein (fish meal) x 15 (lbs) = 9.0% protein

13.60% protein + 9.0% protein = 22.6% protein

So if you take 85 lbs (or 42.5 lbs) of your feed and add 15 lbs (or 7.5 lbs) of fish meal the feed mixture will now be 22.6% protein.
You then raised the protein and all so added a animal protein...

Chris

one could also convert the parts to % and make the calculation. It would be the same. Assuming the parts are weighed measures of course

Last edited:
Quote:
Most feed mills that mix there own feed will have it it is used in all types of feeds (chicken, chick, hog). Feed stores like TSC will only carry a small percentage of pre-made feeds, grains and additives.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you free range your birds at all? just wondering if you are they are more then likely eating bugs and worms so they are getting some protein for animal fat. chickens are not vegetarians by nature I have found that mine do better with some animal products such as left over meat and such make for great tasting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom