Definitely Not a Bantam

barefootfarmer

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Year before last, I brought home a handful of “assorted bantam” chicks from TSC. When they grew up, each was a bit different, but they all remained small- as one would expect bantams to. All except for one of them.
This particular chicken is larger than any of my standards, but she is different from anything I have ever seen. She has black skin, legs, and comb, but her body type is not like that of a Cemani. She also has a slight golden mottled to her chest. What kind of crazy chicken do I have?

Attachments

• DF74E6B7-35BB-48B6-9EC1-E52F4B1DC39D.jpeg
    DF74E6B7-35BB-48B6-9EC1-E52F4B1DC39D.jpeg
    825.5 KB · Views: 61
Year before last, I brought home a handful of “assorted bantam” chicks from TSC. When they grew up, each was a bit different, but they all remained small- as one would expect bantams to. All except for one of them.
This particular chicken is larger than any of my standards, but she is different from anything I have ever seen. She has black skin, legs, and comb, but her body type is not like that of a Cemani. She also has a slight golden mottled to her chest. What kind of crazy chicken do I have?
Agree with drumstick diva. She's likely a mix between one of the dark skinned breeds and a large fowl hen. Very cool looking hen!

About has to be a Silkie cross being a feed store "hatchery" chick. I agree with Crazy for Chickens. The chances of being a Ayam Cemani or Swedish Black cross from a feed store are beyond measure I would think.

Back
Top Bottom