Definitely Not a Bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barefootfarmer, Mar 3, 2018.

1. barefootfarmer

barefootfarmer Chirping

Apr 15, 2013
    Year before last, I brought home a handful of “assorted bantam” chicks from TSC. When they grew up, each was a bit different, but they all remained small- as one would expect bantams to. All except for one of them.
    This particular chicken is larger than any of my standards, but she is different from anything I have ever seen. She has black skin, legs, and comb, but her body type is not like that of a Cemani. She also has a slight golden mottled to her chest. What kind of crazy chicken do I have?

Attached Files:

2. Freisian

Freisian Songster

Jul 15, 2017
    East Sussex , England, UK
    Fascinating, looking forward to the replies, she is the most unusual but good looking hen.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. She looks like a cross of black white crested polish and brownleghorn?????? But I really don't know

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

I'd say a mix of some sort. She's beautiful! :love I love her black skin and dark eyes!

~Alex

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd keep her - probably a cross between a Swart Hona or Ayam Cemani and some other breed.

JedJackson likes this.
  6. peckpeckpeck

peckpeckpeck Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    Aloha OR
    She's gorgeous!
    Can you post more pix of her?

3SpeckledSussex likes this.
  7. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Agree with drumstick diva. She's likely a mix between one of the dark skinned breeds and a large fowl hen. Very cool looking hen!

8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Looks like a Black Sex Link. I don't think you'd get anything with Ayam Cemani in it from a feed store.

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    About has to be a Silkie cross being a feed store "hatchery" chick. I agree with Crazy for Chickens. The chances of being a Ayam Cemani or Swedish Black cross from a feed store are beyond measure I would think.

AlleysChicks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: