DEFINITELY scaly mites- or no?! Hmmm

Phillyndilly

Songster
5 Years
Aug 8, 2018
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi all, I’ve had waterfowl a few years but this past August we finally rescued some chickens so I am fairly new to them.
I got some more this past November 4 silkies, 3 bantams.
Just recently I was doing research and reading about chicken parasites and I checked my crew when I went outside.
I noticed my bantam Smidge and roo Gooch had horrible scaly leg mites! I soaked them immediately and treated with Vaseline.
I also put Vaseline on the roosts they sleep on and the others who sleep in that coop ( the silkies and other bantam Midge.
I was so disappointed in myself for days for not noticing but then there was a lightbulb- did they have scaly mites when I bought them?!!
My silkies are show quality and the girl I got them from strikes me as someone who takes care very well and knows chickens very well so what the heck!
Sure enough I have pictures from the first day and if I zoom in close I can definitely see infected legs.

I messaged her and she said the bantams were her moms who she called and the mom says no they’ve never had that maybe it’s something else?
While at first I thought she was making excuses the facts are they’ve had these mites the whole time I’ve had them and have been in the same coop with the silkies and the other two bantams hayhay and Midge and no other have any mites or signs. From what I’ve read the mites are Extremely contagious so wouldn’t at least one other have it by now?!
What else could it possibly be?
This is a picture of Smidges legs I’m going to take a picture of Goochs and post to, his are worse.

Attachments

• AFD0F255-42E7-4498-9DD7-DDFD17234ABA.jpeg
    AFD0F255-42E7-4498-9DD7-DDFD17234ABA.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 25
  • F0AF8B07-0662-44AC-ACDB-F6C24279C1CD.jpeg
    F0AF8B07-0662-44AC-ACDB-F6C24279C1CD.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 19
Looks like SLM to me.
I would continue to apply the vaseline a couple of times a week. Work it into and under the scales, it can take weeks for the legs to heal and start looking better.

SLM live under the scales of the bird for the most part. They can eventually migrate/spread to other birds within the flock, but it's not that unusual to only have 1-2 birds that are affected.

There are different "types" of mites that chickens can get and those can infest a flock fairly quickly. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Looks like SLM to me.
I would continue to apply the vaseline a couple of times a week. Work it into and under the scales, it can take weeks for the legs to heal and start looking better.

SLM live under the scales of the bird for the most part. They can eventually migrate/spread to other birds within the flock, but it's not that unusual to only have 1-2 birds that are affected.

There are different "types" of mites that chickens can get and those can infest a flock fairly quickly. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Definitely scaly leg mites. Dont forget to keep roosts treated as well.

Right?! Thank you for the confirmation. I’m honestly just so disappointed in this girl like it could’ve been so so much worse if I didn’t notice! Plus they should’ve been free I could’ve used that money to buy feed grrrr.
Oh ok well the mites are having a feast on those two so they probably are nice and happy not wanting to migrate.
I am going to clean the entire coop Saturday. Scrub everything w white vinegar do hot water and oil up the roosts again.
Also I switched to castor oil mixed with tea tree. And I am going to soak those two and scrub with a toothbrush again on Saturday.
I’m going to treat everyone at least a few times just in case.
Wyorp I can’t see the link I did try to check a few for different mites my black one sometimes has little flakies on her but I think it’s just that little dander from flaked off new feathers. One of the other girls bullied her a few weeks ago and has some missing booty feathers but doesn’t look like mites at all to me.

I don’t know whether I d notice that on a few of my birds. All of them, and probably I would. Mine don’t like to be handled, so as long as they seem happy, I respect their wishes and just admire them without touching.

The tea tree oil sounds like a great idea. If it doesn’t work, I’d try lavender next. You could just blend it into the Vaseline so it stays stuck. I have infused comfrey into Vaseline and had very good results with wound healing, but on its own it wouldn’t likely discourage insects—the Vaseline drowns them I believe. However, from what I’ve read, the damaged tissue doesn’t quickly heal. So, comfrey may speed up healing. I put some dried leaf under a bit of hot water and steep x 10 minutes then drain. You can use oil/Vaseline in place of water.

I don’t know whether I d notice that on a few of my birds. All of them, and probably I would. Mine don’t like to be handled, so as long as they seem happy, I respect their wishes and just admire them without touching.

The tea tree oil sounds like a great idea. If it doesn’t work, I’d try lavender next. You could just blend it into the Vaseline so it stays stuck. I have infused comfrey into Vaseline and had very good results with wound healing, but on its own it wouldn’t likely discourage insects—the Vaseline drowns them I believe. However, from what I’ve read, the damaged tissue doesn’t quickly heal. So, comfrey may speed up healing. I put some dried leaf under a bit of hot water and steep x 10 minutes then drain. You can use oil/Vaseline in place of water.
Oh wow very good idea! I’m definitely going to do that. I’m such a fan of honey for healing but I don’t think it will be the best idea in this case lol. Lavender would be nice mostly for me because I hate the tea tree smell! Comfrey is interesting I actually haven’t heard of it but it sounds great for healing.

Comfrey is interesting I actually haven’t heard of it but it sounds great for healing.

I planted some roots just before our first (super-early) big blizzard. Hopefully it’ll grow. It speeds tissue regeneration and is good fodder for livestock, too. Research it—there’s a lot of probable exaggeration but it really does work IME, if your expectations are realistic.

Hi all, I’ve had waterfowl a few years but this past August we finally rescued some chickens so I am fairly new to them.
I got some more this past November 4 silkies, 3 bantams.
Just recently I was doing research and reading about chicken parasites and I checked my crew when I went outside.
I noticed my bantam Smidge and roo Gooch had horrible scaly leg mites! I soaked them immediately and treated with Vaseline.
I also put Vaseline on the roosts they sleep on and the others who sleep in that coop ( the silkies and other bantam Midge.
I was so disappointed in myself for days for not noticing but then there was a lightbulb- did they have scaly mites when I bought them?!!
My silkies are show quality and the girl I got them from strikes me as someone who takes care very well and knows chickens very well so what the heck!
Sure enough I have pictures from the first day and if I zoom in close I can definitely see infected legs.

I messaged her and she said the bantams were her moms who she called and the mom says no they’ve never had that maybe it’s something else?
While at first I thought she was making excuses the facts are they’ve had these mites the whole time I’ve had them and have been in the same coop with the silkies and the other two bantams hayhay and Midge and no other have any mites or signs. From what I’ve read the mites are Extremely contagious so wouldn’t at least one other have it by now?!
What else could it possibly be?
This is a picture of Smidges legs I’m going to take a picture of Goochs and post to, his are worse.

yeah looks like same as scaly mites .
i have seen successful treatments of scaly mites with vaseline
the treatment suggest to apply regular alot of vaseline on feet until these dead skin fall off and new skin formed .
the best way to apply vaseline is on bed time . so that chicken will sleep instead of itching . and boost vitamin A & E in diet to prevent foot issues

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom