Deformed beak causing issues?

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
So I know I just made a post about this chick earlier sleeping a lot. But I couldn’t find that thread and noticed a new ‘issue’.

Beetlejuice, this chick, has a very crooked beak. It’s always been like this.
Well, I’ve noticed he has started having labored breathing a few hours ago. And one side of his face expands when he breaths? I’m going to try and upload a video if I can to show this.

Attachments

• EBE0A084-7313-42B0-9D0C-1732D1A1D193.jpeg
    EBE0A084-7313-42B0-9D0C-1732D1A1D193.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 31
So I know I just made a post about this chick earlier sleeping a lot. But I couldn’t find that thread and noticed a new ‘issue’.

Beetlejuice, this chick, has a very crooked beak. It’s always been like this.
Well, I’ve noticed he has started having labored breathing a few hours ago. And one side of his face expands when he breaths? I’m going to try and upload a video if I can to show this.
Oh, unfortunately your little chick may not survive. It has a really bad cross beak and it will get worse as he/she grows.

Oh, unfortunately your little chick may not survive. It has a really bad cross beak and it will get worse as he/she grows.
I’ve had a feeling it would cause problems.
Would that cause this sudden onset of sluggishness? Yesterday and last night he was very energetic but this morning he’s been going slowly downhill. Still eating and drinking but just sleeping, and in the last hour labored breathing.

I’ve had a feeling it would cause problems.
Would that cause this sudden onset of sluggishness? Yesterday and last night he was very energetic but this morning he’s been going slowly downhill. Still eating and drinking but just sleeping, and in the last hour labored breathing.
Most likely there may be other problems and also the chick probably has not been eating as much as you think to sustain it. I really don’t think there is anything much you can do and usually with chicks, Once they go downhill, it’s hard to reverse. I know it’s hard to watch, but sometimes that is just how nature works.

he’s been much better today than last night. Face no longer expands as he breaths and no labored breathing or gasps. Can’t tell if still sluggish because they’ve been kept in their little crate and can’t go play around due to weather. I accidentally cracked an egg collecting and scrambled it for the chicks and they all loved it, him the most.

Most likely there may be other problems and also the chick probably has not been eating as much as you think to sustain it. I really don’t think there is anything much you can do and usually with chicks, Once they go downhill, it’s hard to reverse. I know it’s hard to watch, but sometimes that is just how nature works.
How’s your silkie doing? I think I have a chick with a crossed beak! Good luck.

Still doing great! The beak has somewhat straightened out too. Haven’t had any difficulties since. He turned to be a she, but no complaints there. Good luck with your little chick!

That is fantastic news hopefully my little chick will grow and thrive if I have anything to do with it she will I’ll let you know how she’s doing keep up the good work with your little silky

That is fantastic news hopefully my little chick will grow and thrive if I have anything to do with it she will I’ll let you know how she’s doing keep up the good work with your little silky
Keep me updated on your chick, and if you need any help ill try my best to help!

Back
Top Bottom