1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deformed beak or scab??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christine9, Nov 24, 2013.

1. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    My hatchery chick is almost 10 weeks old. This deformity or whatever it is has just become noticeable in the last week or two. At first, I thought it was dirt stuck to her. Today I tried to wipe it off, but it is hard and I was afraid to hurt her. Is it a scab? Or a growth? Is there something I should do or is it ok to wait and see what happens? My poor baby.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This could be a virus, but more than likely where the chick injured the top of it's beak on something sharp--a waterer, feeder, or fencing--and it has formed into a scar that may eventually fall off. If you do a search at the top of the page for "wart or sore on beak" you will find many similar-looking lesions, some light and some dark-colored. Most don't have outcomes, but some report they fell off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by