Deformed Beak

Piptrip

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
I work at a farmers supply store and yesterday someone brought in a chicken that had been dumped outside. She has a majorly deformed beak and I'm not sure she's able to eat as she is very skinny. Her beak is overgrown and i trimmed it as much as I could. Is there anything i can do? Could i syringe feed her or something?

Is her beak crossed, like a scissors beak? If her beak is so bad and you know she can't peck her food, do you think she could scoop up the food with her beak? Maybe you could offer her some wet layer crumbles to see if she can do it. The deeper the dish, the better if she's able to scoop it up.

If she's seems otherwise healthy, just skinny, and you feel you can keep up with the feeding, you could try......

Last edited:
Is her beak crossed, like a scissors beak?  If her beak is so bad and  you know she can't peck her food, do you think she could scoop up the food with her beak?   Maybe you could offer her some wet layer crumbles to see if she can do it.  The deeper the dish, the better if she's able to scoop it up.

If she's seems otherwise healthy, just skinny, and you feel you can keep up with the feeding, you could try......

I posted a couple pictures so you can see how severe it is. She can't peck her food because her beaks so overgrown and i dont think she can scoop it either. I tried wetting her food and shoving her face in it and just trying to get it in her mouth but it's not working.

Oh the poor hen! That's one of the most severe cases I've ever seen. I don't see at all how she can eat on her own. I think you'd have to take mash, and then make it into a runny oatmeal type paste, and feed her right into her mouth with a dropper, like you would a baby bird....

I have to say, (and I'm so sorry to all the bird lovers and animal activists that I may offend), I think you might have to put her down.

Oh the poor hen!  That's one of the most severe cases I've ever seen.   I don't see at all how she can eat on her own.  I think you'd have to take mash, and then make it into a runny oatmeal type paste, and feed her right into her mouth with a dropper, like you would a baby bird....

I have to say, (and I'm so sorry to all the bird lovers and animal activists that I may offend),  I think  you might have to put her down.

I know... I hate to say it but unfortunately that may be the most humane thing to do. She wasn't there when i got to work today so I'll have to ask my manager what happened but hopefully she found a home.

X2 what chicmom said, that is too severe to survive. Poor thing looks like it's tired of the struggle anyway, knows it's hopeless.

Being only young it would have been severely set back from that problem, which is a permanent problem for its future --- you cannot put back in there what never went into it in the first place.

If that was simple crossbeaking there'd be a chance, but it's not; the lower beak is very underdeveloped, the top beak and skull are malformed severely, and there is a strange lump under the lower jaw that does not belong, perhaps a cancer causing the deformity or something like that. Sorry. Poor chook.

Best wishes.

I'd say it's only chance for survival would be tube feeding several time a day for the rest of it's life, which means finding someone to do that for you when you can't.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom