Deformed chick at hatch in NurtureR.360

BigBabyschick

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2023
Hi all, I’m new to raising chickens and just hatched some eggs. The first 4 hatched a day early and were/are fine. The 5th one is deformed. And I had to remove her as the other 4 were trying to eat her. She can’t walk or even get off her belly. The foot seems fused to her leg and it appears to have only 2 toes. She’s eating and drinking thus far but I’m wondering if I’ll have to cull her ?🤦🏼‍♀️ Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    768.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3986.png
    IMG_3986.png
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3992.jpeg
    IMG_3992.jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sorry about your little chick. I'm usually all for trying to save a bird's life IF they aren't in pain/suffering. But if you want to try to save this chick's life, it will likely always be special needs and require more care from you. There is nothing wrong with that; the chick will likely become very attached to you due to the extra care you give it, IF you have time and choose to do so. The way the lower leg is bent back onto the upper leg means it is essentially a one-legged chick. It should learn to adapt to that handicap, again, as long as it isn't in pain. I am going to ask a moderator to have this thread moved to the Emergencies forum. Medical experts there can give you a better idea as to what quality of life this chick can expect. Again, welcome to BYC; glad you joined.

I’m so sorry about your little one. I’ve had success raising a few birds (an EE rooster and a Gambels hen) with a deformed leg to adulthood, but it’s really your decision as to whether you’re up for the extra time it’ll take raising a special needs bird. First, you need to determine whether the chick can get around adequately on its own to eat and drink. If you believe it has a good chance to thrive, even with a deformity, then I wish you all the best with your little one. Welcome to our helpful community!

That's an interesting malformation. I've never seen one like that.

I think it would be okay. It just depends honestly on how it adapts and if those digits grow to be an issue. I have a one legged hen that lost a foot last winter and she's adapted pretty dang well so far.

But if you decide to let it grow and try, you have to be willing to put it down if it doesn't adapt or is struggling and in pain

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sorry about your little chick. I'm usually all for trying to save a bird's life IF they aren't in pain/suffering. But if you want to try to save this chick's life, it will likely always be special needs and require more care from you. There is nothing wrong with that; the chick will likely become very attached to you due to the extra care you give it, IF you have time and choose to do so. The way the lower leg is bent back onto the upper leg means it is essentially a one-legged chick. It should learn to adapt to that handicap, again, as long as it isn't in pain. I am going to ask a moderator to have this thread moved to the Emergencies forum. Medical experts there can give you a better idea as to what quality of life this chick can expect. Again, welcome to BYC; glad you joined.
Thank You so much! I feel

Back
Top Bottom