Deformed chick at hatch in NurtureR.360

I have a hen that lost both feet to frostbite, and looked into the idea of having her fitted with 3d-printed feet. The issue is complicated. Same as with people, several fittings and adjustments are necessary to get a proper fit that will not cause pain and pressure wounds, while also allowing a bird to be more mobile than before. It's not possible to get a proper fit simply by taking stump measurements and having a 3d-printed foot delivered by mail, any more than a human could do so. There are a few youtube videos (VERY few) that show a bird that seemed to adapt well to their new artificial feet. But even then, there was no follow-up, so no way to know if the 3d feet continued to work well. I look forward to the day when a BYC member comes forward and shows how well their bird amputee has adapted, and believe one day it Will happen. One most-likely-to-succeed scenario is if an owner lives near a military medical facility that treats human war amputees, and is willing to help a bird in need. But so far, bird amputees have proven to do better through adapting to their missing feet/legs "as is" than trying to fit them with mail-order prosthetics.
Thank for informing everyone in such crazy deatails. I have 3d printer but I'm really not sure if I could make something that or even shop it as I'm in Italy.

Culling is an option no one could fault you for choosing. It's up to you. If you don't want that option, then the chick may be able to adjust to its disability with a little help.

This thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/ shows various options for making chick chairs to get the chick used to being upright and that encourages it to try standing. Yes, chickens are able to balance on one leg with practice and then they learn to walk on one leg and even to run pretty well.

I think you've got to use your best judgement.

With a bit of help and a chicken chair, it might be able to stand. Then once it's bones harden a bit and muscles strengthen, it may be able to limp around on one good leg and a stumpy bit (might have to make a vetwrap bootie to protect the stump). If it can move around, and eats and drinks well, it may be OK.
Personally, I would give it 2 weeks of Intensive Care to see how far it progresses. If it still cannot stand unaided after 2 weeks, then I would say goodbye. That's just me though.

Let us know what you decide to do.

@BigBabyschick , even if the chick doesn't suffer pain from the deformity, it's going to come down to what YOU choose to do. Personally, I will do much more to help an older chicken survive than a newly-hatched chick, because I know the personality of an older chicken. If this were a chick hatched by one of my broody hens, I would assess its ability to keep up with mom and siblings, and euthanize if it couldn't keep up. But there are plenty of cases on BYC where poultry owners chose to give a special-needs chick extra care so it could thrive. The decision you have to make is no different than if this were a newborn puppy, kitten or any other animal species. Some people would immediately choose to euthanize, while others would give the handicapped animal a chance. Whatever you decide, you did nothing wrong to cause this to happen, so be at Peace with whatever decision you make.🕊
Thank You 🙏

I know you dispatched the chick and I think it was the most humane thing to do, but just to give an idea of what a prosthetic leg or foot might look like on an adult chicken. It's a lot harder with chuck and I'm not in any way trying to make you feel mad about culling the chick btw.
Resize6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom