Deformed chick at hatch in NurtureR.360

Yes that's what it looks like on a
I know you dispatched the chick and I think it was the most humane thing to do, but just to give an idea of what a prosthetic leg or foot might look like on an adult chicken. It's a lot harder with chuck and I'm not in any way trying to make you feel mad about culling the chick.
Yes that's what it looks like attached to a stump, but doesn't mean the chicken can use it properly and without pain. Two years ago, I tried to contact a person who makes "mail-order prosthetics" for birds. His website showed pictures of people holding birds wearing prostheses same as your photo does. His site had videos, but None of the videos worked, which is why I contacted him by phone and email for more information. Never heard back. There was a person who's pullet lost a foot to frostbite who ordered a prosthetic from this same person. Longer story short, she soon tossed the prosthetic.

After you mentioned the idea earlier in this thread, I curiously searched online to find any progress with birds using prosthetics. Found an article where a wild vulture had a permanent (not plastic) prosthetic that was sucessfully surgically grafted to bone. Again, I fully believe a bird is going to one day appear on BYC who has a functional prosthetic, and the owner will be able to document their progress and success. It could happen any day now. I just don't think it will be a plastic prosthetic ordered through the mail.

Yes that's what it looks like on a

Yes that's what it looks like attached to a stump, but doesn't mean the chicken can use it properly and without pain. Two years ago, I tried to contact a person who makes "mail-order prosthetics" for birds. His website showed pictures of people holding birds wearing prostheses same as your photo does. His site had videos, but None of the videos worked, which is why I contacted him by phone and email for more information. Never heard back. There was a person who's pullet lost a foot to frostbite who ordered a prosthetic from this same person. Longer story short, she soon tossed the prosthetic.

After you mentioned the idea earlier in this thread, I curiously searched online to find any progress with birds using prosthetics. Found an article where a wild vulture had a permanent (not plastic) prosthetic that was sucessfully surgically grafted to bone. Again, I fully believe a bird is going to one day appear on BYC who has a functional prosthetic, and the owner will be able to document their progress and success. It could happen any day now. I just don't think it will be a plastic prosthetic ordered through the mail.
Wow that's a weirdly sad story, I hope one day a prosthetic will be made with a article documenting it and it doesn't seem like that's a thing but I hope it will be like you do. I actually saw a thing about a toucan who lost part of it's bill, I will try to find a photo, but I'm sure someday there will be a company or some person who makes prosthetics for poultry that works. Just not at this current time😔

There are actually about three different toucans over the years who successfully got new beaks and lived full lives, and one was in a zoo and was fine. However the same can't be saud for legs of poultry soooo idk?
grecia-before-after_2016_02_02.jpg
maxresdefault (1).jpg

There are actually about three different toucans over the years who successfully got new beaks and lived full lives, and one was in a zoo and was fine. However the same can't be saud for legs of poultry soooo idk?
View attachment 3566860View attachment 3566862
Thanks for posting this. One of my roosters got the front half of his beak torn off by a predator and it was very painful, so we put him down. It makes me very happy to know that people who have the means can help unlucky birds like this.

@BigBabyschick , I'm glad this chick hatched for you, I think you really considered everything and made the best choice for quality of life. She was definitely loved.

Back
Top Bottom