Deformed chick - help!

aragia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
I had this Silkie chick hatch Monday, 2 days early. I left him in there because he was so much earlier and I didn't wish to compromise the rest of the hatch. Today when everyone else came along and I pulled him out, the umbilical cord (I hope that's the right term for chickens, I'm not good with anatomy) was wrapped tightly around one leg and also still attached to his stomach. I finally managed to get it untangled but the chick cannot stand up at all. The leg that was wrapped in the cord is stuck extended behind him. Should, or can, I do anything?

un fortunatly you can not do anything for her she will probably walk with a limp for her life if it was like that for too long and you should not leave live chicks in the incubator for over 1 day move her to a brooder soon to dry or she might get sick.

The chick didn't make it, thanks. I was always told to leave them in the incubator up to 48 hours because they can go that long and it cuts down on the risk you'll drop humidity enough to hurt those who haven't hatched.

Back
Top Bottom