1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deformed chick, what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NonstopNick, May 24, 2011.

1. NonstopNick

NonstopNick New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    So we have one chick that is 4 weeks old and has had a lower beak that started to migrate to the right at about 2 weeks, the beak is completely misaligned and I am not sure weather or not to dispense of the poor thing. It is much smaller than the others and I worry that as it gets larger it will starve to death - a fate worse than a quick end. This is what she looks like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Sounds like what is commonly called "cross-beak". I've never experienced it, but if you searched that term, I'm sure you could find lots of good info.

3. NonstopNick

NonstopNick New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    Thank you, I just figured out how to post a pick, it is now updated.

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Yep. Thats it! I believe I've read its a skull deformity. Looks like a pretty bad case too. I'll let others answer you on what to do.

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I am sorry to hear about that...i had a friends chick that was like that, but it stopped getting worse and was still able to eat and grow...so that is a tough call....I hope the little thing is ok...if you want to POST a pic...here is how to do it
    1. go to your "UPLOADS" page (the bar is at top of your page)
    2. click on "browse" (left side) pick the picture that you want and hit Upload....
    3. once uploaded you cant to copy the pic...there will be 2 types of links under your uploaded pic.
    (Copy by highliting the THUMB link and either use (ctrl) + C buttons or right click and choose "copy link location"
    4. open this post and do reply....in the box you want to hit the button and the after that (make sure there is no spacing ) you paste the image location you just got ( do this by using (CTRL) + V or right click and "paste"

you can then preview your post and the post it...G2G [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/img/smilies/lol.png

Best of luck and God Speed [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Because it's smaller than the others it may or may not have other problems. At the very least it appears to have eating problems. I would cull it for it's on sake.

I am sorry for your trouble. The books don't prepare you for this type of thing.

Rancher

7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Well heck i guess you figured out pic posting while i was typing..lol
    I am sorry for your lil one....I would say it is prob best to put it down ... (that is a pretty bad case) and i would hate to see it suffer *hugs**

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I'm afraid i agree in this case, that is a pretty severe cross beak -- but in the end you will have to choose, of course. As mentioned, there is a lot of info on here on crossbeak, if you want to read up on the kinds of problems you would face.

9. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with rancher hicks, the humane thing to do is to cull it now, its likely to suffer and eventually starve to death. However painful it might me to part with it now, think how painful it would be to watch it suffer. The pic you show is a pretty severe case of crossbeak. Sorry for the gloomy prognosis. Good Luck

10. NonstopNick

NonstopNick New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    I have since searched "cross beak" and found lots of info - thanks to all that posted so quickly. Mine seems to be a pretty bad case and I am afraid I will have to do the deed and spare her the inevitable.

Thanks everyone, this is a great community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by