Deformed duckling foot

Agh12

Hatching
May 18, 2022
Ok, so I have a little duckling here that was born about an hour ago. It’s left leg is dragging behind it and the foot is scunched up into a ball. I had 3 others hatch that were perfectly healthy. What is this and how do I treat it? I don’t think it will die but I don’t want it to be lame. Any answers are much appreciated.

It may get okay given a little time. If it doesn’t in the next 24 hrs make a little shoe you can cut a piece of plastic in the shape of the foot wrap in tape so it’s no sharp edges then lay the foot on it and use vet wrap to attach to the foot. Sometimes they get better as they recover. If you can put up a pic or video that would be good.

It may get okay given a little time. If it doesn’t in the next 24 hrs make a little shoe you can cut a piece of plastic in the shape of the foot wrap in tape so it’s no sharp edges then lay the foot on it and use vet wrap to attach to the foot. Sometimes they get better as they recover. If you can put up a pic or video that would be good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 6
It’s been almost 24 hours now and there’s very little improvement. Should I give her some Niacin? Is there anything that might help her at all? My biggest consent is that she might fall into her water dish and not be able to get out again. We are currently doing physical therapy on the foot so maybe that will help a little.

Did you try making a boot?
can you post a picture please?
What niacin do you have?
Ok, we made a little shoe for her and it’s working wonderfully. I don’t have any niacin, should I just give her a little nutritional yeast to help her gain strength in the foot?

Yes nutritional yeast is great. not baking yeast.
Liquid B complex would work too. TSC carries one durvet is brand it will say injectable but we use it orally.
great to hear the shoe is helping!!
Nutritional yeast dose is 1 Tab over 1 cup of feed. all water fowl need this until 10-12 weeks of age.
The liquid B complex is our go to when one has an issue already.
let me know if you get it and I'll get you doses.

What niacin do you have?
What niacin do you have?
Yes nutritional yeast is great. not baking yeast.
Liquid B complex would work too. TSC carries one durvet is brand it will say injectable but we use it orally.
great to hear the shoe is helping!!
Nutritional yeast dose is 1 Tab over 1 cup of feed. all water fowl need this until 10-12 weeks of age.
The liquid B complex is our go to when one has an issue already.
let me know if you get it and I'll get you doses.
We got some vitamin b called rooster booster and have been giving it to her dilupested by a gallon of water along with electrolytes and probiotics. She’s doing just fine and her foot is looking really good. I’m just wondering if it’s okay for the other ducklings to have the vitamin b. I wouldn’t think I’d be harmful but just checking. Tiny (the duckling) is way smaller than all her siblings should we be worried?

Back
Top Bottom