Dehydrating eggs for long term storage

I tried Dehydrating eggs last year using that method known as the "Cook-Dry" method.. After pulverizing them in the blender I ran them through my grain mill to make an even finer powder... That part worked great. However, I tested the final product... I re-hydrated some and tried making scrambled eggs....It had to be the worst thing I have ever tasted..... YECCHHHHHH...it was absolutely horrible. I have read that the "Wet Dry" Method is much better even though it takes longer... The wet dry method has you blending the eggs, then spreading the RAW mixture on fruit roll-up sheets in your dehydrator...and drying RAW eggs. But I haven't had enough spare eggs to try it before now.
Currently we are undergoing road construction, and understandably, eggs sales are down as it is an effort to get in and out of my driveway right now. SO I have an excess amount of eggs at the moment, and was thinking that this may be a good time to try it again. As far as storage later??? I use canning jars for herbs and other dry goods storage. I have the lid accessory for my food saver vacuum sealer that allows you to vacuum seal jars, and it works great. ...

I tried Dehydrating eggs last year using that method known as the "Cook-Dry" method.. After pulverizing them in the blender I ran them through my grain mill to make an even finer powder... That part worked great. However, I tested the final product... I re-hydrated some and tried making scrambled eggs....It had to be the worst thing I have ever tasted..... YECCHHHHHH...it was absolutely horrible. I have read that the "Wet Dry" Method is much better even though it takes longer... The wet dry method has you blending the eggs, then spreading the RAW mixture on fruit roll-up sheets in your dehydrator...and drying RAW eggs. But I haven't had enough spare eggs to try it before now.
Currently we are undergoing road construction, and understandably, eggs sales are down as it is an effort to get in and out of my driveway right now. SO I have an excess amount of eggs at the moment, and was thinking that this may be a good time to try it again. As far as storage later??? I use canning jars for herbs and other dry goods storage. I have the lid accessory for my food saver vacuum sealer that allows you to vacuum seal jars, and it works great. ...

Be
Thanks for all of the info!
I do have some mylar bags and oxygen absorbers which should help in keeping things fresh. I would like to try the mineral oil as well. I saw that on Doomsday Preppers.
Thank you for sharing the recipe, it looks good. I don't have any fresh eggs yet, my 6 girls should be laying by the end of summer. I figure we'll have more than enough eggs for my family of three. I'm sure I'll give some away and still have some left. I will probably pickle some eggs as well although I'll be the only one eating them. Hubby and son are picky eaters. In fact my son will only eat eggs hard-boiled and won't eat the yolk.

careful on how you preserve from a shw. I watch it to and gives a lot of great ideas. However they have to keep to a time line for the show and sometimes cut out important parts of the process. Such as mineral oiling the eggs. They have to be less than 24 hr old and unwashed. Then the oil needs to be heated to make sure you are not adding bacteria. Then oiled and et to dry. Then place in a clean dry carton. Date the carton! So as no surprises will be found :( also before starting make sure there are no imperfections such as cracks. Not even tiny ones

I tried Dehydrating eggs last year using that method known as the "Cook-Dry" method..  After pulverizing them in the blender I ran them through my grain mill to make an even finer powder...  That part worked great.  However, I tested the final product...  I re-hydrated some and tried making scrambled eggs....It had to be the worst thing I have ever tasted.....  YECCHHHHHH...it was absolutely horrible.  I have read that the "Wet Dry" Method is much better even though it takes longer... The wet dry method has you blending the eggs, then spreading the RAW mixture on fruit roll-up sheets in your dehydrator...and drying RAW eggs.  But I haven't had enough spare eggs to try it before now.

Currently we are undergoing road construction, and understandably, eggs sales are down as it is an effort to get in and out of my driveway right now.  SO I have an excess amount of eggs at the moment, and was thinking that this may be a good time to try it again.  As far as storage later???  I use canning jars for herbs and other dry goods storage.  I have the lid accessory for my food saver vacuum sealer that allows you to vacuum seal jars, and it works great. ...

After reading online about the wet vs dry methods, I tried the wet method. It worked great! I used it for backpacking breakfasts...dehydrated buckwheat and egg, poured boiling water over both, insulated for 10 minutes, added butter...tasty!

I have dehydrated eggs by scrambling with no butter and putting them in a blender to turn to powder... They are not the same no matter how you try them. I'm not a fan. That being said if I wanted to do this for a emergency food they would do. They will stay good for about 6 months if you use a few oxy packs in a mason jar air sucked out. The eggs you get in the can are freeze dried and taste much more like fresh eggs.

I have been dehydrating excess eggs now for a while. My daughter-in-law has baked with them and so far so good. I found a book "Food Storage: Preserving Meat,, Dairy and Eggs" by Susan Gregerson and David Armstrong and they both describe dehydrating eggs. I vacuum seal them in 3 mil thick bags. I am just beginning this so as I go forward I will let you know how they do, I am alos going to try cooking them and them dehydrating them as well.

I have scrambled, cooked them in the oven in a pan lined with parchment paper, then dehydrated them. I then used my food processor to make them into a course powder. I put them in mason jars, with oxygen absorbers, then vacuum seal the mason jar. They last for well over a year. I use them to add to my chick, poult and dog food.

I've never tried the wet method, since my use of them is for animal feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom