DEKALB COUNTY MUST ACT NOW!!!!

nappybutbald

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Stone Mountain
Please we must unite now and start a campaign of emails to the Commissioners of Dekalb County NOT JUST YOUR DISTRICT but all of them including the Interim CEO Lee May. Out of his mouth while meeting with me about our desire to move into the millennium with BackYard Chickens from farm through suburban to urban it's time. Just look around at the trend green this green that and wow more green space, miles of walking paths through Dekalb and they have the never to say chickens does not belong. Chickens are a national trend America's founding fathers had chickens. They're part of our heritage served man in every war. I mentioned to the commissioners that you don't have to worry about feral chickens cause everything eats chickens. There are a lot of predators out there even man is one cause if i see a chicken unclaimed roaming around the neighborhood oops what chicken lol. Please take the time to address each commissioner and request the County Ordinance Code on chickens be a separated from the District Zoning Ordinance. These are separate issues and should be address as such. I am providing the names and email addresses of each Dekalb Commissioner for us to campaign for what we want now. I promise you we need to do this like yesterday cause i feel this meeting was promising:
Lee May, Interim CEO, [email protected]

Nancy Jester District 1, [email protected]

Jeff Rader District 2, [email protected]

Larry Johnson District 3 [email protected]

Sharon Barnes Sutton District 4, [email protected]

Kathie Gannon District 6, [email protected]

Stan Watson District 7, [email protected]

Please don't let this opportunity slip by the more the merrier!

Thank you for writing Commissioner Gannon regarding keeping chickens in DeKalb County. We love fresh eggs, too! DeKalb is in the process of adopting a new zoning code that will permit residents with lots exceeding 10,000 SF to keep chickens, pigeons and bees. One hen is permitted per 2,000 SF of lot area. Lots that are greater than 2 acres can keep livestock (no pigs and no more than 2 animals). Manure can be composted for the owners use. In drafting this new ordinance, staff and consultants worked with individuals and groups who promote urban animal husbandry.  We expect the new ordinance to be in place by June of this year. I hope this information is helpful.

Davis Fox
Policy and Projects Manager for
Super District 6 Commissioner Kathie Gannon
DeKalb County Board of Commissioners

This is very good news, but it includes a basic misunderstanding about beekeeping. Bees belong to themselves; the hive box can belong to a beekeeper, but "allowing" beekeeping is no more realistic than "allowing" butterfly gardening.

I have been keeping abreast with the series of probable Code Ordinance and adoption change for over a 6-8 month period.

I've held numerous conversations with the Super District 6 Policy and Projects Management, Dekalb County Code Enforcement Officers who informed me that they were undergoing training for new chicken raising ordinance changes.on the horizon. Further, a specific code officer told me I could have my chickens, and coup. We placed the coup on June 2, 2015. Today, doing a usually check status before placing the hens in a coup, I was informed by the county clerk office that the code has not been voted on and deferred until July 14, 2015, Only to learn the code ordinance discussion has been deferred to July 14, 2015! I am a law abbidding citizen who know must find someone to harbor my girls until this storm passes over. Can Anyone temporatily adopt the girls? I am willing to paying their food and lodging. if, you all know of a familty who is willing to assist please contact me at 404 272-1293.
Urgent Help Needed!!!!

Lady R

Back
Top Bottom