Delaware barring on tail--is this it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hooterville, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying to figure out if my Delawares are boys or girls. I understand that barring on the tail feathers can indicate roos. Is this barring?

[​IMG]

Here's another full pic--
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Becky

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, that's called Tail Black-only the hens have that. The roosters have actual barring, like a Barred Rock. I'll go get my pics. Here's my cockerel, Jake.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my pullets, Cassie:
    [​IMG]

Your pic is a pullet. I'm downloading better pics of my girls' tails for you. Ok, here you go. My pullet, Kira, has great tail black. And Jake is in the background.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    [​IMG] Cyn they are so BEAUTIFUL!

4. Hooterville

Yea! I knew you'd come through for me, Speckledhen! I didn't think it was barring--I just couldn't believe they'd send me 6 additional Delaware chicks that all appear to be pullets! [​IMG]

Thanks so much for the pics--that helps alot!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, Adam. They are shaping up nicely! Becky, glad to help. And you have some beautiful pullets then-congratulations. These are very sweet and friendly kids. When they are older, Jake, Kira and Cassidy will have the two Welsummer girls in with them after I move the two Blue Orp pullets out to live with Suede. Then I can tell the eggs apart and Jake will have four girls rather than just two. I love the Delaware egg color-it's so peachy tan and even-toned.

6. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    Both of you have great looking Delawares.
    Brad

7. Hooterville

Oh boy, now I can't wait for eggs!

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Do Delawares often have floppy combs? I have one girl who looks like a Delaware in every way, except she has a floppy Leghorn-ish comb.

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Cyn - We'll have to deal on Delaware eggs next year if this hatch doesn't go well. I ordered some to incubate w ith the BRs from you [​IMG] I'm about to run my errands so expect mail from me [​IMG]

Have a good one.

PS. Please see my post in the Family section.
    http://www.armyofwomen.org/

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:No they shouldn't have a floppy comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by