Delaware barring on tail--is this it?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I'm trying to figure out if my Delawares are boys or girls. I understand that barring on the tail feathers can indicate roos. Is this barring?

Here's another full pic--

Thanks!
Becky

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
No, that's called Tail Black-only the hens have that. The roosters have actual barring, like a Barred Rock. I'll go get my pics. Here's my cockerel, Jake.

Here is one of my pullets, Cassie:

Your pic is a pullet. I'm downloading better pics of my girls' tails for you. Ok, here you go. My pullet, Kira, has great tail black. And Jake is in the background.

Last edited:

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Yea! I knew you'd come through for me, Speckledhen! I didn't think it was barring--I just couldn't believe they'd send me 6 additional Delaware chicks that all appear to be pullets!

Thanks so much for the pics--that helps alot!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Thanks, Adam. They are shaping up nicely! Becky, glad to help. And you have some beautiful pullets then-congratulations. These are very sweet and friendly kids. When they are older, Jake, Kira and Cassidy will have the two Welsummer girls in with them after I move the two Blue Orp pullets out to live with Suede. Then I can tell the eggs apart and Jake will have four girls rather than just two. I love the Delaware egg color-it's so peachy tan and even-toned.

kinnip

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Carrollton, GA
Do Delawares often have floppy combs? I have one girl who looks like a Delaware in every way, except she has a floppy Leghorn-ish comb.

walkswithdog

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
Cyn - We'll have to deal on Delaware eggs next year if this hatch doesn't go well. I ordered some to incubate w ith the BRs from you
I'm about to run my errands so expect mail from me

Have a good one.

PS. Please see my post in the Family section.
http://www.armyofwomen.org/

Top Bottom