Delaware barring on tail--is this it?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I'm trying to figure out if my Delawares are boys or girls. I understand that barring on the tail feathers can indicate roos. Is this barring?

BARRING.jpg

Here's another full pic--
delaware.jpg

Thanks!
Becky

No, that's called Tail Black-only the hens have that. The roosters have actual barring, like a Barred Rock. I'll go get my pics. Here's my cockerel, Jake.
DCP_1409Jake.jpg

Here is one of my pullets, Cassie:
DCP_1405Cassie.jpg

Your pic is a pullet. I'm downloading better pics of my girls' tails for you. Ok, here you go. My pullet, Kira, has great tail black. And Jake is in the background.
DCP_1493.jpg

DCP_1492.jpg

Last edited:
Yea! I knew you'd come through for me, Speckledhen! I didn't think it was barring--I just couldn't believe they'd send me 6 additional Delaware chicks that all appear to be pullets!
clap.gif

Thanks so much for the pics--that helps alot!

Thanks, Adam. They are shaping up nicely! Becky, glad to help. And you have some beautiful pullets then-congratulations. These are very sweet and friendly kids. When they are older, Jake, Kira and Cassidy will have the two Welsummer girls in with them after I move the two Blue Orp pullets out to live with Suede. Then I can tell the eggs apart and Jake will have four girls rather than just two. I love the Delaware egg color-it's so peachy tan and even-toned.

Do Delawares often have floppy combs? I have one girl who looks like a Delaware in every way, except she has a floppy Leghorn-ish comb.

Cyn - We'll have to deal on Delaware eggs next year if this hatch doesn't go well. I ordered some to incubate w ith the BRs from you
smile.png
I'm about to run my errands so expect mail from me
smile.png

Have a good one.

PS. Please see my post in the Family section.
http://www.armyofwomen.org/

Back
Top Bottom