Delaware Blue Hens

Thank you so much. I pm'd her and am now waiting for a response. I am new at this Forum.
smile.png

Quote:
PM sent.
welcome-byc.gif

I appreciate all the inquiries I've had regarding the Delaware Blue Hens, which I shortened to DBH. I have one rooster and 8-9 hens. I can never remember how many black hens I have, lol. But the rooster is blue, the hens are blues and blacks. The possibilites of chicks are blue, black and splash. They are generally very sweet natured and they do fly better than most chickens, given their smaller, lightweight bodies. Eggs are small to medium size, ranging through the shades of white.

I'm not a pro breeder by any means, I'm a backyard chicken tender, so I don't really track very much in the way of details. They seem to be pretty good layers, but right now I have another snake to relocate, she's getting greedy!

Anyone who's interested in the Blue Hen of Delaware, as they are also know, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do! Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks, Opa!
frow.gif

I missed the part about where I got mine. The original stock came from the University of Delaware, via BYCer Bec, who no longer has any. She sent eggs that I hatched here and the next year I drove up to pick up a bunch of chicks. Then, last year, another BYCer decided to clear out her DBH to start a different breeding program and I was lucky enough to get them from Florida.

Quote:
Pretty much all chicken eggs are 21 days, give or take a few days either way. Some of mine have hatched on days 19-20, my theory being that smaller eggs hatch a bit earlier. Some have resisted to day 25 or more. That's really frustrating!

If you look at the very top of this page, you'll see a link to the Learning Center. A really good place to start, and then ask questions and read even more, in the Incubating and Hatching section.

jumpy.gif

I have one Delaware blue rooster and three blue hens. I also have a 4 month old black rooster a blue hen 4 months and a splash hen 4 months. My eggs are a tannish and go large to medium size. The medium is off a young 8 month old hen. I love these birds. Mine came from a friend in Delaware. She heard I liked the blue color and when she came to N.C. For vacation she brought the adults here to me. They are not flighty like some people say. The rooster does guard his flock well and he has killed to snakes that I have seen and will go up against dogs that come near his girls. Hope that helps you.

Back
Top Bottom