Delaware Crosses - what can be sexed at hatch?

Ari_m

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I have one Delaware rooster. I’d like to cross him to a hen that will give chicks that can be sexed at hatch. I can get more roosters(space/ hen ratio, and other reasons), so he’s what I have to work with. Delawares are barred diluted by the Columbian pattern/gene, so the barring will only show in the hackles and saddle feathers. So far I have a speckled Sussex, barred rock, and cream legbar that I’m wondering if they would work for it. If they won’t work, I’d like to find a hen of a breed that would be good.
The goal is to hatch dual purpose chicks, sell the females at hatch, and pasture raise the males for my own personal meat. It would be more economical if I didn’t need to feed all the hens in the beginning since I won’t actually be keeping them for my flock.

Attachments

• B932B9B0-AC4F-404A-BC66-E3F9D48D98EC.png
    B932B9B0-AC4F-404A-BC66-E3F9D48D98EC.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 45
He won't work for either kind of color sex-linking, I'm afraid.

For 'black' sex links, which is sex linking using barring, you need a non-barred male over barred females. As he is barred, that is out and will not work.

For red sex links, you need a gold male over silver females. And he is silver, so that also doesn't work.

There is also feather sex-linking, where you breed a rapid-feathering male to slow-feathering females. However, Delawares are slow feathering. So again, that is out.

If he were a female, he'd work for all three, haha. But as a male, he's wrong for all three.

Back
Top Bottom