Delaware genetics for dummies?

Quote:
I think the dummy translation is:
female=solid black tail
male= barred tail

idunno.gif

Quote:
The Delaware was not crossed with the Cornish, what that artcle means is that Delaware's were the top choice for meat birds until the Cornish was developed. At that point, the Cornish was used as meat birds instead of the Delaware.

And Ridgerunner: thanks for the imput any information is helpful, but I get lost with all the

Female
E^wh/E^wh--wheaten
CoCo--columbian
dbdb--not-dark-brown
pgpg-not-pattern'gene
mlml--not-melanotic
ChaCha--charcoal
mhmh--not-mahogany
didi--not-dilute
lglg--not-inhibitor-of-gold (no gold dilution)
cbcb--not-champagne blonde
S--silver
B cuckoo--barred
Choc--not-chocolate
ii--not white (wildtype alternative)
blbl--not-blue
MoMo--not-mottled
CC--not recessive white
LavLav--not lavender

It's a foreign language to me LOL.

hope that helps a bit

yes, it helps explain what the abreviantions are. Some of terms I can understand, well most of them. My next question is why would a Del even have half of those genes? For example:
not dark brown

If a Del has those genes, is it not dark brown because it has the gene that tells it not to be dark brown? I chose this example because of the Red ancestory in the Dels, and I would think the potential is there to see red showing through in the Del once in a great while.

Last edited:
Quote:
Doesn't the definition of "sport" imply an unknown origin? Either the Barred Rocks or New Hampshires weren't all "pure" and some combination of "unpure" genes crossed to produce silver? Or, is it just a mutation?

Last edited:
Teacher, teacher, my hand is raised. . . . . I'll second PCPuppy's questions- why the have nots? Or do you have all the "have nots" in order to fill the correct numbers?

First you need to understand the meaning of Sport w/ regards to genetics. What this means according to Webster is a "mutation". From what I understand an unexpected mutation. This term is also referred to in plants, more commonly roses.
More specifically it means to "deviate or vary abruptly from type, mutate".
These mutations stablized, in the crossing of the "sport to a sport". In many cases they do not stablize and the mutation continues and you never know what the progeny will look like.
Some sports do not stablize, hence when you cross one breed with another and then cross their chicks (progeny), their chicks (progeny), may look like one or the other or something inbetween or entirely something else.

This is how they determine a new breed of anything. The children, pups, kittens, etc. etc. must look like both the parents. A Delaware to a Delaware should produce chicks that do not look like either a Barred Rock or a New Hamshire Red. The same holds true for all breeds, or "composite" breeds.

Quote:
Every chicken has every gene. However, it is the specific alternative form of each gene that determines the differences. Some varieties need dark brown; for others they need to NOT have it (or to state it another way, they need the "not-dark-brown" variation). Generally the genotype for a variety ignores the "not" variations, letting one assume that anything specifically not mentioned shouldn't be included. For example, in discussion black or blue or buff or ..., one doesn't usually include not-lavender in the genetic makeup. If one is discussing partridge, one doesn't usually include not-blue.

I think what the poster did was list all the genes in the chicken calculator, and the allele (variation) present in delawares.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom