Delaware genetics for dummies?

caf.gif

Since a year has past since this thread was started, I wonder if the students have become teachers now and could help us Delaware newbies get started on the right path. . . . .

There are plenty of SOCIAL delaware threads out there . . . . but I wonder if we could get some serious feedback on our flocks OR suggestions on what type of mating that would help improve the next generation of chicks or advice on how to solve our unique delaware delimmas.

Perhaps, the ones who started this thread a year ago, could share some advice - - - either serious "must dos" or Serious "must avoid at all costs". .. . .

Quote:
I don't know where to start to even begin to tell you how to breed best... it could take a book. What are your specific issues you are seeing?

Please keep in mind that in my experience (four generations) Delawares are the most unpredictable breed to work with. I believe it to be because of them being a product of a mutation. With what little breeders that I know of who have worked with Dels longer than one or two seasons, it seems to be the same story. This, in my opinion at this stage of any research, is the reason you don't see many Dels in show. Show breeders like consistancy. It is what gives them wins, and it is what give them sales. You get a "cull" from a top exhibitionist and you will get a great bird.

So I guess what I'm saying is... what specifically is your question?
wink.png

In my opinion this thread died because no one has the answers. There just are not enough people out there who are serious about preserving the breed. The folks on this thread that have asked the questions are the ones who are serious and we have found bits and pieces of valuable info along the way, but we are still learning together. I was told a while ago by a poultry show judge that folks that show dont breed Dels because there are so many components that have to be just right. All of the show winners are solid colored birds becuse it is easier to (breed for certain traits) control the outcome of solid colored birds.
The best place to get info on breeding is old time books, anything prior to the 1960's.

We are all still learning. The Delawares are a difficult breed to work up to the standard. AND, there are not really a whole lot of Delaware breeders out there. A couple known breeders have been producing green legs lately, so I imagine they are working on that.

Ok - - - How about I pick three topics and we go from there

1.) Greenish/yellow legs in pullets. I saw those WAY GREEN legs that Kathy posted pics of a while back. That is NOT what I am talking about. I think I have seen some refer to it as a DUSKY yellow. I firmly believe this is a sex link trait since I saw it in all the pullets and none of the cockerels.

I have been told that I can breed this out by

a.) P1 - - -Tainted pullets with roo that phenotype is correct but genotype is probably not pure
b.) F1 - - KEEP pullets showing correct phenotype and therefore correct genotype since it is sex link gene
c.) F2 - - F1 pullets crossed with P1 roo ( 50% of these cockerels should be pure)
d.) F3 - - TEST MATE cockerels from F2 to P1 hen . . ..
roos that produce 100% pullets with correct phenotype WILL be correct genotype
AND proper for future matings with F1 correct pullets.

NOW, I have had others think that there may be some other genes at work that effect leg color and the above won't solve the problem. . . . What do you think ? Has anyone tried to deal with the greenish / yellow leg issue - - - if so what are you trying?

TOPIC # 2

Yellowish feathers in the hackle and saddle area of roos - - - What do you think causes it?

Theories tossed about have been

1.) Diet - - - Corn or BOSS

2.) Environment - - - Too Much Sun

3.) Age - - OLD feathers (IF it is an age issue, then would it still be considered a FAULT at a show ? ? )

4.) Genetics - - - Something from bleed through of the NH

I have a roo that is only 5 1/2 months old. He finished his Juvie molt not too long ago, so his feathers are not that old. He stays in a pen that is in an oak hammock AND has a tin roof, so sun is not an issue. Until the last couple of weeks he has NEVER had cracked corn or BOSS. He ate a diet of either chick starter or laying pellets. So, I believe genetics must be an issue. . .

At 16 weeks of age, there was no yellow. Now at 5 1/2 months there is . .
THIS is a pic from 16 weeks of age. . . . I will upload a current pic tomorrow.

IMG_1546.jpg

If this is a genetics issue, what do you suggest. The sisters to this roo are snow white . . . no issue with yellowing of feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom