Delaware genetics for dummies?

TOPIC # 3 - -
BARRING on roo - -

How do we improve barring on the roo's tail. My roo has barring, but some of the feathers are very black. . .
In my way of think - - - the male is colored too much OVER coloring.

Which hens paired with him would benefit the next generation of males. . . I have hens with almost no color on tail and hackles. . . so, these ladies I considered UNDER colored. . . . Would these ladies improve the next generation of cockerels ? Would they help improve the barring?

Quote:
1, 2, and 3 are the ones I have heard of.

In my case, I can absolutely ELIMINATE #1 and 2 from possible contributors to this problem. . . . If this is an age related issue - - how are the judges veiwing it ? Is a really solid body delaware being faulted or DQ for an age related issue ? ?

I ask because usually there is a section in the SOP that calls attention to any inappropriate colors being a fault or DQ. . .
My other breeds are DARK, so dealing with a WHITE chicken is a whole new thing for me. I would assume the yellowing would show up in white rocks, leghorns, etc and judges would be use to seeing them if this is a reasonable cause of the condition.

Just thinking out loud here and looking to bounce some thoughts around
big_smile.png

Quote:
Why don't you send a picture with what you are describing to one of the APA judges here on BYC. That way you could tell us the answer.

I can do that
smile.png
- - - do you have a judge you would suggest I contact - -- MAYBE TWO names just incase one is too busy to get back with us ? ? ?

Quote:
Why don't you send a picture with what you are describing to one of the APA judges here on BYC. That way you could tell us the answer.

I can do that
smile.png
- - - do you have a judge you would suggest I contact - -- MAYBE TWO names just incase one is too busy to get back with us ? ? ?

A couple I can think of, off hand, here on BYC ..... NYREDS and fowlman01.

Quote:
Never once seen a green leg on a Delaware or anything that was labeled a Delaware. If I did buy/hatch "Dels" and they had green legs. CULL. Period. Forget breeding out, forget working on figuring out where it came from. You said it yourself right up there "Genotype is probably not pure" and if you are breeding for prosperity... which I believe most everyone I know of here is breeding for... then PURE is what you want... not something that you took a couple years and generations to make look pure. JMHO

Sorry, I can't help you more than that. I never EVER seen a green leg on a Del. I truely feel like the "chicken boom" caused more damage than it did good. There are alot of people out there who didn't know (or don't know) their SOP for their breed, just believed the person they bought stock from, and continued propagating bad stock and slapping a purebred lable on it. Then those genetics get passed around like a cold. I say, you see green legs... let that line go... sell them to a person wanting layers and be honest about the green legs on a "Delaware" thing so they don't go breeding that and passing it on.

Quote:
I have heard all three of these except I never heard the yellowing being attributed to NHs. Wait until your hens are about four... you might see red feathers after their 3rd or 4th moult. Yes, that would be a fault in show... IN SHOW. This does not always mean a fault in breeding.
Back to the yellow. I have never seen yellowing in anything other than the roosters... so you might be right about the NH thing because a NH roo has a irridesant pearl shine to the hackle and saddle feathers... this might just be the yellowing on the white Del. However, I'm unsure of that. I feed scratch and all of mine range... I never worried about it. If you are showing, it would be a fault and points will be lost over it. Yes, it seems to happen at a certain point in maturity... about the time you would get the shine on a NH roo. Whoever told you that one must have known something there. If it is b/c of the NH... there is nothing really you can do about it. POSSIBLY try to breed it DOWN... not out, but down. Some are yellower than others. Though, I have some roosters from my fourth gen who do not have yellowing and some from the same hatch that do. All raised the same way together... so that would lead to genetics.
wink.png

Quote:
I can do that
smile.png

A couple I can think of, off hand, here on BYC ..... NYREDS and fowlman01.

Ok, I will take care of this tomorrow and let you know what I find out!

Thanks for the help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom